C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Rest of Us Just Live Here

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, contemporary, read-2015, superheroes, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. This book is incredible and emotional and relatable and OH WOW. How does Patrick Ness write like this?! (Answer: he is a wizard.) I've loved A Monster Calls andA Monster Calls and More Than This. So I was like 99% sure that I'd adore The Rest Of Us Just Live Here. But I didn't actually know what it was ABOUT, except it was NOT about "The Chosen One". And I had noooo idea it was about families and sibling relationship and end-of-school and anxiety. So, give me a moment. I just need to hug this book and pronounce it a new favourite.

"Not everyone has to be the Chosen One. Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can, doing things that are great for them, having great friends, trying to make their lives better, loving people properly. All the while knowing that the world makes no sense but trying to find a way to be happy anyway."

It's set in the kind of world that's HAD all the weird superhero stuff happen. But it happened in the last generation or no one really believed it or it got covered up as some sort of accident. So everyone believes in supernatural stuff, but they don't. (Am I confusing? TELL ME THIS MAKES SENSE.) Which I think is an epic story world. Although, there was lots of weight on the fact that there's "indie kids" and "normal kids". I guess (and asked around) that "indie kid" just means the hipster kid. So the Peter Parker kind of dude? Anyway. That threw me because I'd never heard the term "indie kid" and it was weird. BUT ANYWAY.

This story focuses on a foursome of completely-incredibly normal kids. Except, of course, for the tiny fact that they're not.

So can we talk about the characters?! YES AND PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

+ Mikey: He's the narrator. He's, like, incredible. He's the quiet one, the one who feels replaceable. He has serious OCD and unrequited love with his sister's best friend and, he's just adorable. The way he loves his sisters and takes care of them?! I ADORE HIM.
+ Mel: Yes, the entire family has names that start with M. Worse, their last name is Mitchell. Nuuuuungh. (Although I think that's done on purpose.) SO. Mel has had anorexia...basically anxiety. The family is built on anxiety, it's really sad and entirely relatable. I really connected to both Mel and Mikey. Their relationship is SO CLOSE, and they're there for each other when the other is having an anxiety episode. I love sibling relationships. Have I ever mentioned that?! I LOVE 'EM. I also really loved that the book wasn't about Mel falling into anorexia again. It was about her journey of moving forward. A lot of the time I feel like books are continually about the decline into the abyss. So it's nice when they're about the hard crawl upwards.
+ Meredith: She's the 10 year old, youngest. And she's adorable. She's passionate and clever (like, she's a genius) and I LOVED how the teens included her. It wasn't a "oh my gosh, I haaaate it when my little sister is hanging around". They all loved her and took care of her. It was so so sweet. FJDAJKLS TO THIS ADORABLE FAMILY.
+ The Mitchell Parents: yeah, except they were dead losses. Which is odd considering how wonderful their children are. Hmm. The father is an alcoholic who's basically mentally checked out of the family. The mum is so deep into politics nothing else matters for her.
+ Jared: I liked Jared. He was a really epic best friend for Mikey. He's gay and big and kind and totally there for Mikey with his anxiety. They make it clear they're not a couple although you can definitely see they love each other. I guess they love each other in a family way. Buuuut...I had my doubts sometimes. I also got SO MAD at Jared several times. (view spoiler)
+ Henna: Okay, out of the foursome (Mel, Mikey, Jared and Henna) I really didn't like her the most. I felt like she lead Mikey on at the same time as friendzoning him. I think their relationship was interesting...not quite romantic. Very unrequited. But yet...so unique and different. IT'S COMPLICATED. But it actually was! Their feelings were. And, duuuude, that's refreshing to read, okay? Henna was black and vibrant and had parents who were missionaries and she was half Scandinavian.

There is a lot of diversity. Which is great. And it was natural and interesting and flowed.

Despite the "superhero" background...that's all it is. A BACKGROUND. It seriously doesn't dive into that side of things. Each chapter starts with this paragraph about what the superheroes are doing...nearly a cliche stereotypical monologue. Which I found insanely interesting. And then it'd get back to the complex and difficult and filled with anxious worried lives of the foursome. I LOVED IT. I loved how the author handled anxiety. I loved how the story was focused on family and moving on and growing up and love -- but the complicated kind of love. It's not a massively fast story, but it's addicting.

OH IT'S SO ADDICTING.

I felt so emotionally invested. I connected to, like, all the characters (but the Mitchell family particularly stole my heart) and I just felt the book was suffocatingly perfect. Like, if you've ever experienced anxiety -- THIS book gets it right. And plus the writing is just gorgeous. It's heavy on the dialogue and doesn't waste time and knows how to hook you in with just a few words. It's a little big magical and yet 100% real. (Trust me, that's totally plausible.) There's weirdness and normality.

WHAT ARE WORDS?! JUST GO READ IT. This is one you need in your life. Just have chocolate on hand. I need chocolate. SOMEONE GET ME CHOCOLATE.

*breaks down sobbing over perfectness of book*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rest of Us Just Live Here.

March 30, 2015 – Shelved
March 30, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 23, 2015 – Started Reading
May 23, 2015 –
page 50
15.77% "Only 50-pages in and it's already breaking my heart!?? HELP. (Kidding. Don't help me. I shall be tortured bravely by this incredible book.)"
May 23, 2015 –
page 180
52.48% "Yes, but what the heck is an "indie kid"?"
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: superheroes
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 24, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Stormy I loved this one too!

Angelina I LOVE it so far :D! I just keep getting confused by the indie kid deal, I mean they are the chosen ones right? That's what I figure :O
Nice review :) Have a wonderful day!

C.G. Drews @Stormy: It was so so perfect and fjdasklf I had a lot of feels for these exceptionally written characters.

C.G. Drews Brianna and Angelina wrote: "I LOVE it so far :D! I just keep getting confused by the indie kid deal, I mean they are the chosen ones right? That's what I figure :O
Nice review :) Have a wonderful day!"

YES. It's just the term for "chosen one" but I got seriously confused. xD

Emily Mead HOW GOOD WAS IT?? But yes, omg, I couldn't believe Jared said those things. Like, that's the WORST possible thing you could say to someone with anxiety - like as if Mikey wasn't thinking about all that stuff already??? UGH. But anyway, yes, I loved it :D

Adeeb I just finished reading this book a bit ago and I completely feel the same way you do. I love Patrick Ness so much and this story was so damn amazing and fresh! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

message 7: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I think the alliterations are done on purpose as a reference to so many superheroes/characters in comics whose names are like that. (Peter Parker, Jessica Jones, Susan Storm, Bruce Banner, J. Jonah Jameson, Green Goblin, Pepper Potts, Reed Richards, etc)

Paige YES TO EVERYTHING. I literally just finished this and my heart can't handle it. Great review.

vibraniums favourite book of ever

message 10: by Izzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Izzy I picked up this book just because of your review. Gonna start reading it sson! ;)

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Izzy: OH YAY. I hope you like it! :D

message 12: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi I just finished this, and it was brilliant!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jessi: Omg I so so agree. :D

message 14: by Elke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elke I agree with your comments about Jared so much!