Sandra Ross's Reviews > You Are Not a Gadget

You Are Not a Gadget by Jaron Lanier

"If we chose to pry culture away from capitalism while the rest of life is still capitalistic, culture will become a slum. In fact, online culture increasingly resembles a slum in disturbing ways. Slums have more advertising than wealthy neighborhoods, for instance. People are meaner in slums; mob rule and vigilantism are commonplace. If there is a trace of "slumming" in the way that many privileged young people embrace current online culture, it is perhaps an echo of 1960s counterculture."

Lanier is a virtual reality engineer and he is very well connected in Silicon Valley, so to hear someone else in the technology field realize and confirm much of what I have seen and written about is at least affirmation that I am seeing what I am seeing.

This book should be a must read on everyone's list. There's a lot to think about and a lot to consider about how technology has so limited and manipulated the growth and the creativity in society and culture in so many ways and has tried to make us humans and our lives a simple algorithm.

We are not gadgets. We still have brains - although we're using them less and less and just joining the hive and coasting along following the Pied Piper to who knows where - and we need to resist what technology is trying to force us into becoming: automatons who can simply be programmed en masse.

This book is short and accessible for everybody, even if you're not in the technology field. But the quote above should be sobering enough to pique your interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not a Gadget.

Finished Reading