J.L.'s Reviews > Chimera Incarnate

Chimera Incarnate by Jennifer Brozek

bookshelves: march-2015

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

CHIMERA INCARNATE is the stunning conclusion to the Karen Wilson Chronicles. The city of Kendrick faces its biggest battle yet, and all of the forces of good must band together to defeat it. In this case, good is relative, and not all of the factions will ever get along, which just adds to the excitement.

Most importantly, the saga of Karen Wilson herself has come full circle. The beginning of the book sees her at her lowest point, but she manages to pull herself back from the brink. Initially, I was bummed that the Master of the City had less of a role to play in this book, but then I realized how important that was. Karen has to be her own person, not the Master’s puppet, and this book shows how far she’s come into her own in this regard.

The author deftly ties up so many loose ends in so little time, while also introducing more interesting characters and ideas in order to heighten the tension of this last battle!

The “serial novel” concept continued to work well over the course of all four books, even when so many characters and events needed to be balanced and maintained.

Extra: If this world ever does make an appearance as a table-top role playing game, I call dibs on playing one of the Gray Lady’s set of magical twins! What faction would you play?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chimera Incarnate.

Started Reading