Paloma's Reviews > Invisible Cities

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

The cities in Invisible Cities are chronicled as if in a dream by Marco Polo to Kublai Khan: lands he has supposedly seen on his travels described in wild miniature ethnographies (and sometimes, obtuse Gnostic-sounding parables). Each is impossible, fantastical, irrational, paradoxical; hopeful or horrifying. They’re about the psyche of a city’s inhabitants, playing with the boundaries of self, language, perception, and/or reality. Many of the cities’ names happen to be women’s names, and accordingly, many of the chapters about cities work equally well as complex descriptions of relationships with individual people.

It’s a short book, but DENSE, so you’ve got to digest each city on its own the way you would take tiny bites of extremely decadent food. I’ll want to re-read this one, but very slowly. At last, I’ve found a companion on my shelf for my beloved Borges.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Cities.

March 28, 2015 – Shelved
March 28, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 29, 2015 – Started Reading
March 29, 2015 – Shelved as: reality-and-philosophy
March 29, 2015 –
20.0% "“Arriving at each new city, the traveler finds again a past of his that he did not know he had: the foreignness of what you no longer are or no longer possess lies in wait for you in foreign, unpossessed places.”"
March 30, 2015 – Finished Reading