Jeannette's Reviews > I Kill Giants

I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly

Sep 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: eclectic-readers, graphic-novels

** spoiler alert ** I want to say this book is super cute, but to say that almost feels like it's undermining the actual and true issue of how children cope with grief. Has Barbara really fought giants? Is she conversing with faeries?

It's all secondary to the issue that she's a young girl, with a (possibly literally) huge issue to confront. And while she's considering the big possibilities, she also has to cope with the mundane, such as her sister's bad cooking, a school bully, learning to make friends, how she's going to survive her next Dungeons and Dragons campaign. This is life. And I say that as a girl who lost her mother at 12.

Okay, so I might be a little biased. But I did honestly cry as I read the last chapter of I Kill Giants. It doesn't change the fact that it took me a couple of chapters to get into it or that I'm not particularly enamored of the art style (though I LOVE the way the Titan was drawn). But I'm definitely glad I read this book. It reminded me that life can be hard, but it's okay: "We're stronger than we think."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kill Giants.

Quotes Jeannette Liked

“We're stronger than we think.”
Joe Kelly, I Kill Giants

September 29, 2010 – Shelved
October 3, 2010 – Started Reading
October 3, 2010 –
page 51
October 10, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue you finished already? I haven't even gotten the book yet. LoL!

Jeannette Rurichan wrote: "you finished already? I haven't even gotten the book yet. LoL!"

LoL, I'm quick like that. It's not a long read, either. You'll be done in no time!