Anita's Reviews > Leaving the World

Leaving the World by Douglas Kennedy

Sep 29, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, drama, fiction, douglas-kennedy
Recommended to Anita by: leah calvert, mary thompsen
Read from September 29 to October 10, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Awesome book. After a slow start, I became enthralled. Loved Jane Howard. Really felt what she was moving through most of her life. I wanted it so badly to go on for just another chapter to make sure she was really ok. I did find the ending a little disjointed from the rest of the story. Also..I actually had to look up three words in this book. And, I have to say I was overwhelmed by the literary references... but still kept slogging through it. definitely will pass on for reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving the World.

Quotes Anita Liked

Douglas Kennedy
“Because there is no meaning to be found in the arbitrary nature of things., It's all random. Just as space is blue. And birds fly through it.”

Douglas Kennedy
“We all talk about how much we hate lies. Yet we prefer, so often, to be lied to....because it allows us to dodge all those painful truths we'd rather not hear.”

Douglas Kennedy
“We can rarely tell others what we really think about them--not just because it would so wound them, but also because it would so wound ourselves.”

Douglas Kennedy
“Money. The trickiest substance in life--as it's the way we keep score, measure our worth, and think we can control our destinies. Money: the essential lie.”

Douglas Kennedy
“Discipline is all about the imposition of control-the belief that, by following a precise regime and avoiding distractions, you can somehow keep the disorder of life at bay.”

Douglas Kennedy
“But can you ever excise a bad parent? Though you might come to terms with all that they have psychologically bequeathed you, they can never really be expunged. They're the stubborn, permanent stain that will never entirely vanish in the wash.”

Douglas Kennedy
“We all want to fix things. Just as we all believe that so much in life can be rectified. Mend fences, build bridges, reach out, engage in mutual healing.”

Douglas Kennedy
“But the strangest of all sensations is the moment after you have been freed of the baby--and the baby of you--and you are handed this tiny shriveled creature to hold for the first time... and you feel a mixture of unbelievable instant love and desperate fear.”

Douglas Kennedy
“We all end up ruing everything. It's the nature of this thing we call 'our condition.' Could, but didn't...Wanted to, but stopped myself...All the damn statements of regret we can never dodge.”