Amanda's Reviews > Memento Nora

Memento Nora by Angie Smibert

Sep 29, 2010

bookshelves: 2011, ya-dystopian
Recommended to Amanda by: Star Book Tours

I was a little disappointed at the size of this book when I received it - the ARC is only 184 pages. How can a book that size possibly be any good? When it's written by Angie Smibert, of course!

Nora is just your average preppy girl - until she witnesses a bombing and sees a man killed before her eyes. Plagued by her dreams of the incident, she goes with her mother to the Theraputic Forgetting Clinic to take a pill and make it all go away. In the waiting room, she sees a boy from her school who writes the word "memento" on the cast on his arm and later signals to her that she shouldn't take her pill. Nora does just that - spits out the pill that's supposed to make all her troubles vanish - and her life changes forever. Because now she knows what her mother has been forgetting during her regular visits to the TFC. And now she's inextricably tied to Micah because of their shared experience and the comic book that they have created to help preserve their memories. How far is she willing to go to defy society and protect her friends?

Memento Nora was a surprisingly good read and covers a lot of heavy topics in such a small volume - censorship, domestic violents, terrorism, The Underground, the medicinal culture that tells us to take a pill for all our problems. Nora, Micah, and their friend Winter are all, again somewhat surprisingly, sympathetic characters. I do wish that the story had been drawn out a little longer, maybe exploring the characters' backgrounds a little more thoroughly, but otherwise it was good. The ending threw me for a loop, but it was perfect for the story. I am greatly looking forward to reading the sequel!

Grade: B+

The Hopeless Bibliophile

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memento Nora.