Manuel Antão's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: 1990

If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Christological Sacrifices: "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" by Tolkien

It is not really possible to re-read a book, just as it is not really possible to step into the same river twice. The next time, one's thinking, is going to be entirely different. I have read "LoTR" half a dozen times. Each has been different. I think Heraclitus even said you couldn't step into the same river even once. I know what he's talking about. Every single time is a new time.

I remember when I was seven being bored stiff reading and rereading the reading scheme books for my 'assessed reading age' at school. The problem was that I was being assessed by my ability at reading aloud and not allowed to progress until I had read each one to the teacher. I was already a silent reader of proper books from the Praça de Chile Library and could read the scheme books a dozen times before I was called.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Started Reading
January 27, 1990 – Finished Reading
December 30, 2012 – Shelved
March 28, 2015 – Shelved as: 1990

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I agree, each time I read LOTR I get something different out of it. I think a truly great book is like that.

Manuel Antão Michael wrote: "I agree, each time I read LOTR I get something different out of it. I think a truly great book is like that."

As I get older, Michael, I find myself re-reading the same books. When I get to be as old as dirt I won't read any more new books...I'll be just an old geezer reading the same stuff over and over again...the good ones, that is.

William Thank you for the wonderful review!

Manuel Antão William wrote: "Thank you for the wonderful review!"

Thank you for reading William.

message 5: by Calzean (new)

Calzean Thanks for another enjoyable review. I'm with you in that I am now doing less re-reading and more new reading. Probably because I have discovered the local library and e-readers. But I should reread this one.

Manuel Antão Calzean wrote: "Thanks for another enjoyable review. I'm with you in that I am now doing less re-reading and more new reading. Probably because I have discovered the local library and e-readers. But I should rerea..."

Tnks Calzean. I discovered "e-Readers" in 2011 and I was never the same reading-wise...