Matthew Rappelt's Reviews > Go, Dog. Go!

Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman

Sep 28, 2010

Truly, nothing has captured the scope of emotion that encompasses Romance such as Go Dog. Go! Part tragedy, part romantic comedy this is a love story for the ages. With such memorable wit and dialog such as the belly laugh inducing "Do you like my hat?" and the heart wrenching reply, "No I do not." You will laugh, and you'll cry. It's not all romance though, the book deftly weaves in several subplots which serve as complex metaphors for various political and philosophical debates. For example, there is a seen in which "The dogs go to sleep. They will sleep all night." is clearly an *obvious* metaphor for female hegemony towards the oppressive male dominated society of the early Mad Men era 1960's in which this book takes place. In other portions of the book it explores how the effects of how economic success and failure in the brewing industry plays out among moderate Democratic congressmen, for example "The blue dog is in. The red dog is out. (Clearly a throwback to Prohibitionist sentiment and history.)
At it's climax, Go, Dog. Go! explores how runaway consumerism, and out-of-control automobile industry have set American society on a one way path to self annihilation. Not even the power of the newly formed Green Movement can help society. The Green Movement(here symbolized by a Giant Tree), is consumed and polluted by society in a hedonistic Tree-Dog-Party. In the end we are teased with one ray of hope, as the male and female protagonists escape this debauchery together, their budding romance at long last blossomed, providing hope that someday through the verisimilitude of their mutual affection a new generation will be born that can overcome the pettiness of their forefathers, and set society on the path to salvation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go, Dog. Go!.

01/23 marked as: read

Melki Aw shucks! I wanted to review this book, but I could never ever top this masterpiece! You Rock Rappelt!!!

Jessica made me laugh, thanks

Jeff Hagan I am laughing my ass off!! I've been told I am an over-analyzer, but this takes the cake! Thank you for your deep analyzing review. I'm going to read this book again and laugh all over!

allison lashley Do you now sage Royston

message 5: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Hutchins Best book review I ever read! Spot on!