Kristen's Reviews > Dark Flame

Sep 28, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read from September 28 to October 01, 2010

Urgh... this series is starting to grate on my nerves. If it weren't for the library, I never would have read this after the prior installment, and I certainly won't purchase the next one either. The characters are getting annoying and the story line is tried. The mysticism isn't as prevalent in this installment as it was in the last, but really, will Ever ever learn? She makes mistake after mistake and doesn't learn anything from her mistakes (as much as she would like to think she does). And how she manages to simply cure herself of the "curse" - well, it's too easy. I didn't want the mysticism, but I didn't want to see her told (basically) meditate and you will cure yourself. Seems like the author is just getting lazy. And Damien - well, no matter how much he loves Ever, no one is so forgiving that they at least don't get mad. And he never does. He doesn't feel real. Then, there's Haven. Who is so obnoxious and so unnecessary to the plot that she bored me and I found myself skimming the pages with her on them. Roman and Jude are almost just as useless. I was hoping we would be a little closer to the resolution, but no such luck. I adored the first book. And it has gone steadily down hill since then. This should have ended 3 books ago. Although interestingly, it's like watching a bad movie - I've invested all this time in getting so close to the end that I have to see how it ends so I will at some point read the final book (and, please, let the next one be the last), but I certainly won't purchase it and don't think it's worth anything more then the trip to the library. And I won't exactly be lining up for it as soon as it comes out either. There are way too many good YA books out there to read, or reread, first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Flame.