Ije the Devourer of Books's Reviews > Sebastian

Sebastian by Sam Argent

This was fabulous but in a really low key way and understated way.

It is fantasy with magic, kingdoms and intrigue but it has an amusing caste of characters and a warm hearted romance at its core. I also like the opposites attract element of the story.

The world building is interesting and unique with all kinds of different magic spells, magic places and a young man who is able to wield deep and strong magic but hides it from his family and cloaks himself.

It took me time to understand why he hides his magic and what his father has done in the past to cause difficulty in the present. It also took time to understand who is who but there is a helpful glossary at the back. The characters are just so fantastic, very real, very rude too. This is a story that involves an incredibly unruly family but focuses on the youngest - Sebastian.

Despite hiding his magic and his person under the cloak Sebastian attracts the desire of the Prince even though they had a rather unfortunate childhood encounter. The Prince is smitten and finds that he has to woo the mysterious, distant and politely rude Sebastian.

Sebastian finds that he has to protect the prince and the kingdom from a group of assassins that wish to kill the prince and having protected the price twice Sebastian is also brought into the line of fire but the assassins underestimate Sebastian and Sebastian in turn underestimates his own attraction for the prince and the love the prince has for him.

I enjoyed this story. There are a number of different characters, each with their own quirks, and behaviuors and it took time to sort out who was who but once I did I sat back and enjoyed them.

The story itself with the intrigue and world building took some time to get into but once I did I thought it was fantastic, original and also hugely entertaining.

I will definitely read more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sebastian.

March 27, 2015 – Started Reading
March 27, 2015 – Shelved
April 3, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Ingie (new)

Ingie Great review, Ije! Added.

Ije the Devourer of Books Thank you :). I enjoyed it

message 3: by LenaRibka (new) - added it

LenaRibka Looks like it is a start for a new series(I judge only on the title!)
Okay, normally fantasy is not my genre, but your review is quite tempting! :) Added.

message 4: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss After reading your review I want to read it now!

Ije the Devourer of Books I enjoyed it but I really like fantasy. :)

Mandapanda Great review. Sounds just right for me. Thanks