Ari's Reviews > Enshadowed

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

bookshelves: paranormal, great-books, favorites, 2012, beloved, rereading-material, best-of, by-color-dark

This book was beautifully confusing and frustrating.

FULL REVIEW:

Enshadowed is one of those stories that can simply leave you breathless and exhausted from so much beauty.
I kept turning pages furiously inhaling every word and, even in the moments when there was no actual action, my elevated heart-rate made me feel like I was reading the most exhilarating of the books. In a way I was… because this story is awesomely intriguing and confusing, even though also terribly frustrating.

Now I need to think. I need to understand. If Kelly wanted to leave us in that insurmountable darkness that she wrote about… well she pretty much succeeded.
I am in some sort of state of awe. I have now even more questions than before and I am stuck not knowing what might come next.

To put it simple:
The story is beautiful and it reveals so many wonderful details about Varen, his dream world, Poe, Reynolds and so much more. Isobel’s searching for a way to bring Varen back, her dreams, her struggle all these were so.. palpable. I love it when I can feel a story, when it gets to the bottom of my heart, when I can connect with the characters, when I get to care for them. Yes, I needed more interaction with Varen, but even in his absence I could savor this story as much as I did with the first one. The book is more descriptive compared to Nevermore, but still there was a lot happening, keeping me on the edge from the first page to the very last one.

Note that the synopsis is a bit deceiving; it leaves you thinking that their encounter will be the major conflict in this story, but somehow that is not really the case, as it was all too quick, quite painful and pretty much confusing - all at once.

The Writing:
I love Kelly’s beautiful prose, the entertaining dialogue, the wonderful descriptions, the humorous scenes; also her sassiness and wittiness and the darkness of the dream world... Not to mention how well crafted the characters are (Kelly can make you care even for the bad guys... imagine that!).

Not having the romance in the middle of the story (view spoiler) we could concentrate more on the beautiful details of this vivid dream world (which is not as confusing as before, but still just as mysterious). Its darkness and fuzziness makes you dizzy, you search for connections between the elements hidden inside it, you try to remember if you've read about them in the previous book, all the pieces seem to fit, but you still can't see the whole picture… It's crazy how you keep running in circles, enjoying the ride even when you realize it. It's crazy how dreams can keep mixing with reality until you have a hard time distinguishing one from the other (view spoiler)

You know, I wonder if at night, after writing this book, Kelly ever looked into the mirror and expected to see someone else next to her own reflection.

The characters:
Kelly knows how to make you feel part of a family, because finally (in a paranormal story) family is not dysfunctional: they care for each other, they give advices, and they try to help.

Isobel's parents were full of concern, trying so hard to understand her even though she kept so many secrets. Her little brother was as sweet as I remembered him. There were some funny family moments and even some that involved Isobel’s best friend Gwen, who is the best friend in the world (also witty, caring, funny, and what’s most important – always there for Isobel).

I have some questions about some characters (Brad, Gwen’s grandparents, the teacher, Varen’s parents, Reynolds… and if I keep thinking, probably about all the others too, so I’ll end the list here). We’ve discovered some things, but there are many others hidden from view and I can only hope to unravel them in the next book.

Last page impression:
There is one word that could describe my feelings: shock!
Reading the last chapters I couldn't stop wondering 'what the hell just happened?'
The ending is as open as the clear blue sky and I simply don't know where this all is headed. It seems as all the doors have been closed and I am not sure how this story will unfold.
Somehow it made no sense, but maybe that’s the beauty of this story – this mystery that followed us until the end.

Let's talk some more:
This should be some conclusion of some sort, but I am still confused and I don't even know where I want to go with this review. It feels incomplete, but maybe that’s OK because the story is like that as well.

I feel the need to tell you that I loved this story to pieces. I really did.
As hopelessly frustrated as I am now, I embrace this feeling because it also feels good.
I do realize that I have more questions now than when I finished Nevermore. It's like we took a few steps back rather than forward, but …
Did I enjoy it?
Did I love it?
Do I keep thinking about it?
Does it make me want to read the next book really, really badly?

Yes, yes, yes..Yes!

Favorite quotes:
✎ “I’m here,” he whispered. “Right here. Waiting.”
✎ "Dreaming aside," he went on, "how can you be so sure your world is the real one?"

PS: I forgot to mention what a great movie this story would make. I saw it all playing in my head while reading the book, it would have wonderful effects (the dream world in this series is fascinating) and it would be creepily beautiful.

Happy midnight reading and.. Sweet Nightmares!

* This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Notes from 29 aug 2012

I need to think, to bang my head against the wall and see what's that I've missed and then come back with a proper review. And if you wonder, yes, the image from the beginning of the review describes a scene from the story (not a spoiler as I think it can be found at the very beginning). Dreams will never be the same again.

__________________________________

Notes from before reading:

I CAN'T WAIT for this book!!!

Another later edit:
Some more waiting?!

Later Edit:
Well, 24th Jan isn't that bad either, it's close enough :))
I love the cover and I still can't wait for it to get out

First edit:

2012? ... Pff, but I want to read it now :|
Make it Jan 19 2012 and that's the perfect date :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enshadowed.

Quotes Ari Liked

Kelly Creagh
“Is — is any of this real?" she asked. "Are you real?"

He lifted a hand to her cheek, his fingers brushing her jaw.

"Even if this is a dream," he whispered, "I'm not."

Isobel's eyes widened, recognizing those words as her own, the same ones she had once uttered to him. She reached for him, her arms twining around his neck, drawing him closer so his scent poured over her, that combination of incense, citrus, and dried leaves overriding the funeral funeral smell of the crowding flowers.

"Don't leave," she breathed.

"I'm here," he whispered. "Right here. Waiting.”
Kelly Creagh, Enshadowed

Kelly Creagh
“Dreaming aside," he went on, "how can you be so sure your world is the real one?”
Kelly Creagh, Enshadowed

September 28, 2010 – Shelved
August 28, 2012 – Started Reading
1.0% "My peciouuuuus..."
August 28, 2012 –
30.0% "I want this Gwen girl to be my best friend, for so many reasons.. And I miss Varen.. Going back to reading now.."
August 28, 2012 –
55.0% "There's just too much excitement for a book with little action. I can't seem to turn the pages fast enough.. I love this story.. and Kelly's writing!"
August 29, 2012 –
100.0% "What the hell just happened?!"
August 29, 2012 –
100.0% "What the hell just happened?!"
August 29, 2012 – Shelved as: great-books
December 19, 2012 – Shelved as: beloved
April 20, 2013 – Shelved as: rereading-material
May 15, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-dark

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

Deska OMG... what happen??? I already pre-ordered this book.. and OMG.. It makes me anxious and nervous..

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Oh, I can't answer to that, you'll find out as soon as you get your copy, but I hope that you will love it just as much as i did. It's amazing!

Deska Ari wrote: "Oh, I can't answer to that, you'll find out as soon as you get your copy, but I hope that you will love it just as much as i did. It's amazing!"

I believe this book will be amazing.. I really can't wait to have my hands on it.. will wait for your review

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I really don't know how I'm gonna be able to wait for the next one. Kelly did it again, her beautiful world will haunt me in the next year - dreams will never be the same again ;))

Deska Ari wrote: "I really don't know how I'm gonna be able to wait for the next one. Kelly did it again, her beautiful world will haunt me in the next year - dreams will never be the same again ;))"

the last time, she made people wait for about two years.. hopefully this time the waiting would not be so painful (><)

Alexa "Its darkness and fuzziness makes you dizzy, you search for connections between the elements hidden inside it, you try to remember if you've read about them in the previous book, all the pieces seem to fit, but you still can't see the whole picture… It's crazy how you keep running in circles, enjoying the ride even when you realize it."

Yes! Love this part in your review! Perfectly said. :) And I agree with everything else you wrote too. Really wonderful review!
I just keep thinking about this book & the ending... Ah! I'm crossing my fingers that it'll come out next year!

message 7: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yeah, I hope that it won't take just toooooo long for the next one to come out. I mean.. enough with the cliffhangers already, I need to know how it ends! >:p

And thanks, Alexa, I can't wait to read your thoughts too ;))

message 8: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I really hope that you will love it just as much. Can't wait to compare notes with you ;))
PS: it's better if you don't know about the book (I didn't either), it will surprise you ;)

Aa'Ishah You have me gasping for air over here. So jealous! It's amazing how an author can draw so many emotions from you. I love that we get to know more about Varen, and just everyone and everything, and that the author still uses her beautiful, engaging, funny writing. I can't wait to see what happens and to find out what that ending is! Fantastic review, Ari! :)

message 10: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Tanks honey, this book is really fantastic, at least for me it was all that I wanted and then some more.. But you know how I am, when I love something very, very much I scream for everyone to listen :)))
So keep the expectations in check and I hope that you will love it just as much :D

Aa'Ishah Hehe. I know what you mean. It sounds just as amazing as the first one, if not more. Gahh, expectations. They're so hard to control. ;)

message 12: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Tell me about it.. I have everything but control, and now I am dying to read the next book in the series.
And because I just talked with someone about this - it would be awesome for this story to be made into a movie. oh, how I wish...

Aa'Ishah Lol, I know right.

It would be awesome. Though I have to say, I always have reservations about making books I love into movies, because there's always the risk of them not being as good.

message 14: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Oh, I know, I usually don't like the movie (not if I liked the book), but somehow that never stops me from watching it :)))))

Aa'Ishah I guess we live in hope, that one day a movie may be as good as the book it's based on...however futile that may be. ;)

Allison Vinson I loved your review. When I finished the book, I immediately said "NOOOOOOO"!!!! It can't end. There is still so much to know. How in the world is everything going to come together? I can't wait two years........

Kristalia Btw, Ari, great review and also great picture (with Varen=fangirl screaaaaaaaaaaaam)

message 18: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thanks, Kristina.
When I read a book I take notes that I send from my phone to my mailbox, to use later in my review. Well, I just had to go through so many incoherent thoughts with this one :)))

message 19: by Kiwi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kiwi Excellent use of pictures! They totally fulfill my inner romantic fangirl! ;)
That aside though, this review is excellent. Unfortunately, it seems many people are having mixed feelings about this one (and with good reason), but it's refreshing to see someone who appreciates how different Enshadowed is from Nevermore.

message 20: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, i've been reading some reviews and I understand their points of view, but maybe because I knew it was supposed to be more descriptive and maybe even because I knew that Varen was supposed to be missing in his dream world, I could enjoy everything else and not be disappointed (at all) by those things that bothered them.

People felt that nothing really happened (if you did too, please don't hold it agains me)... well, taking the first day for example (if I'm not wrong?) - it so full of events (dreams and reality) that I still wonder why did they feel this way.

So I guess it all depends on personal preferences and expectations.. there will always be people that will love it and people that simply won't. I am happy that this time I am on the good side, LOL.

message 21: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ I love your pictures Ari, perfect Varen including the lip ring! They took that out of the original cover which is so disappointing! Did you do the pictures yourself?

Did you like Enshadowed as much as Nevermore? Wonderful review. I'm supposed to read this soon so I'm sure I'll be coming back to discuss. :)

message 22: by Ari (last edited Sep 01, 2012 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Rachel wrote: "Did you like Enshadowed as much as Nevermore? "

Yes, I loved this book just as much. They are different in so many way, but wonderful nevertheless.
I hope you will get to read it soon, and that you'll love it as much as I did.

Rachel wrote: "Did you do the pictures yourself? "

The graphics are made by me except for the second one (the one above "the characters:"; it has a link to the original artwork so you can click on it and get to the artist's page).

message 23: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ I love how you envision Varen in the first one! Swoon! :)

I'm supposed to review this on the 15th so it will be soon. I'm sure I'll be shaking a fist or two at the end. I hope Kelly doesn't make us wait 2yrs for the last one!

message 24: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I know, I can barely wait until 2013, I don't know how would I be able to wait for it some more ;)) But this won't be the case, after all it wasn't planned for Enshadowed to get published so late, it just got delayed. *sigh*

I love my Varen too, not only did I make a drawing as well (which you've seen on the blog), but I even put it on my phone (thing that I never do).. I feel like such a fangirl right :)))

message 25: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ You're a very talented artist, Ari. I don't know how you do it? Is it what you do for a living too?

message 26: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thanks a lot and no.. I do it just for fun and it's great to have a hobby (besides reading, of course)
I am only at the beginning, still learning, but it's something that I deeply enjoy. It's really relaxing and I am so happy when I finish something that I like ;))

Kristalia Ari wrote: "As for Varen, I never liked the guy from the Nevermore cover, as he seemed a bit too.. "vampirish" (I am making up words now, heheee). In the same time, my version is probably a bit too soft though, but hey! I can imagine him the way I want, LOL "

To me, he just looks way to older to be him..And that vampire pose included XD

message 28: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I think the girl looks a bit old too, but maybe that's just me, because I kind of look like a kid and I am way older than Isobel ;))
I am happy that the cover is related to the story though.

Kristalia Yes, so far the best covers relating to the story <3

message 30: by Kiwi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kiwi To tell you the truth actually, my initial reaction to Enshadowed was that I was very disappointed by it (missed Varen, felt not much happened; which I totally don't hold against you). But after re-reading it again, I realized that it is a dark, yet beautiful story. In fact, now I would even say that it is better than Nevermore.

message 31: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, depending on the expectations one might love it or simply not like it at all. I am the happy one, but I know how it feels to be disappointed. It was probably good that I was prepared for it, because knowing that I shouldn't really wait for Varen I could enjoy everything else so much better.

Katie The story was beautiful and I absolutely loved it but I am so confused as to "shock" ending. It was completely unreal and made it so that you hate the characters you once loved.
Also I hated how we were warned countless times how it was going to end in sad way, and then low and behold it ends exactly the way we were told it would. And the biggest question is WHY? and WHAT NOW? It's almost as if an entirely new story could be formed.

message 33: by Ari (last edited Oct 17, 2012 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I am not sure why, but even though the ending was indeed shocking, I didn't hate it, didn't dislike it.. I just wanted more. I had so many scenarios in my head and, in a way, I liked the fact that I still didn't guess how things were supposed to end.
If we think about it, this ending is not so different compared to the first one - a quick, big cliffhanger that will make you wonder "What.The.Hell?!..."
But there were many other things that I loved: Isobel's monologue (that seemed to annoy so many people), her dreams, how Varen tried to stay close to Isobel in his way, how things turned out to be with the dream world, the turnarounds.
I am just sad about the relationship between Isobel and her father, I think it will be hard for him to trust her *ever* again... And I still have so many questions about so many characters...

Well, this comment is turning into a review, LOL, so I need to stop. I guess I'm happy that I liked the story better, it's a wonderful feeling to end a book that I loved :) Maybe you'll like the next one a lot more ;)

Rashika (is tired) I dont know what to say about the ending. Though i was completely heart broken i can see why she did that. It wouldnt make sense for Varen to trust her blindly. He doesnt even know whether she still loves him or not. She could have been a figment of his imagination torturing him.. or rubbing it into his face that she didnt come back. So although i hate the ending i think it is more logical this way.

message 35: by Ari (last edited Nov 01, 2012 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Somehow I felt that way too, but damn.. how can I wait for one more year to see how things turn out in the end?
I love this story and I can't get enough of it!

Rashika (is tired) I asked K.C. if they would meet in the next book because seeing as what happened in the end.. you know it seems likely that Isobel would give up and she said Yes they would meet.
It gave me some hope so i hope u gain some hope from that knowledge as well. Well you know its kind of obvious they would but we all have our insecurities and if the author says it.. it kind of makes it certain. Also since both the books had sad endings i believe the last book would have a happy one (thats just me wishing cannot be sure but yeah).
The story is so unique isnt it? I havent read anything quite like it.

message 37: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, it is unique and so, so beautiful.

I read somewhere an interview and Kelly said something about 3rd book. Don't remember on which site, the only detail I know is related to the mother (I hoped to find out about her and it seems that we will in the next book - not sure what, but I simply can't wait for that).

I hope for a happy ending too, they so deserve it (and we do as well after all this "torture" ;)))

message 38: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) I'm really afraid to read the second one because I loved the first one so much. I keep hearing similar reviews, that it's just not as good. Sigh. That is disappointing.

message 39: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Not really, going back to it I think that it is just as good, it just doesn't have as much romance in it.
So, if all that you're looking for is Varen, dissapointment will be on your way; but if you give all the other things a fair chance, you might/will love it just as much.

message 40: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara I'm such a horrible fan for having left this book until now. Is it as heartbreaking as I hear it is? I hear there's another frustrating ending here as well =/

message 41: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, it breaks your heart quite a bit and it leads you right to the edge of the cliff, wondering what the hell will happen next.

As a big fan myself, I loved it to pieces and I didn't mind those things at all... I repeat, if you have high expectations maybe you will wish for more, but if you just sit there and enjoy it, you might be surprised by how wonderful it really is. It just depends on the reader.

Rashika (is tired) Sasha wrote: "I'm really afraid to read the second one because I loved the first one so much. I keep hearing similar reviews, that it's just not as good. Sigh. That is disappointing."

Its sad but its good. there are some parts in it that just surprise you. And Isobel is still pretty cool.

Rashika (is tired) Ari wrote: "Yes, it breaks your heart quite a bit and it leads you right to the edge of the cliff, wondering what the hell will happen next.

As a big fan myself, I loved it to pieces and I didn't mind those t..."

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) Okay guys, guess I'll be getting this sequel soon

message 45: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I hope you'll like it ^_^

message 46: by Inda (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inda I'm still on the fence if I should get this. I liked the first one, but if Varen isn't in it as much that would kind of suck.

message 47: by Ari (last edited Mar 25, 2013 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Many people complained about it, but I loved it anyways.

If you feel that Varen is the one you liked in this book, then you should probably skip it, but if there are other things you liked as well (Isobel, the dreams, the friendship with Gwen, Pinfeathers, Poe, etc), then you should give it a try , it's pretty good :)
Not sure if this helps though :))

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm absolutely crazy about this series :). I've read twice both Nevermore and Enshadowed and I'll probably re-read them by the time the 3rd book is published. There's just something about the story, the characters and the way it is written that makes it my absolute favorite.

message 49: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I know, I loved them both so much as well!
Also, I'm on the same page here: read them twice and I might read them again ;))
I love(d) this story!

message 50: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Reading is for fun, we should only read the books we feel we might enjoy reading :) I really can't wait for the last book in this series :D

« previous 1