Lauren's Reviews > Batgirl, Vol. 1: Batgirl of Burnside

Batgirl, Vol. 1 by Cameron Stewart

bookshelves: superheroes, young-adult

Electronic ARC provided by NetGalley.

There were a lot of things I really liked about this Batgirl reboot. First of all, Barbara's new costume is fantastic. I love the more utilitarian look of the outfit, emphasizing function over sex appeal. This is the kind of thing that I feel like a female superhero would actually wear. The art is dynamic and colorful, adding to the more youthful tone that the new creative team seems to be going for.

When DC started their New 52 line the thing that bothered me most about the new titles was the fact that they cured Barbara of her previous paralysis. While I applaud their continued use of the past trauma as a character point for her, I still think that it was a mistake to "fix" the character. During her Oracle phase Barbara was not only one of the only prominent disabled superheroes, but also one of the only DC heroes to fight solely with her intelligence rather then by punching things. By getting rid of this they've made her hardly different from any of the other brute force heroes. I was happy to see that the main plot of this volume relied heavily on Barbara's computer skills, and on a crime fighting algorithm that sounded like pure Oracle.

I found Barbara a little bit immature and annoying in parts of this volume, and had to keep reminding myself that she was a young girl who had been through significant trauma and that her behavior was to some extent understandable. While I personally prefer a more mature version of Batgirl, I can see that this incarnation could be widely appealing and she is quite well written. I will definitely continue to read this series and I hope that as it continues Barbara will begin to voluntarily transition towards Oracle and away from being another random member of the Bat family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batgirl, Vol. 1.

Finished Reading