Liz's Reviews > Contagion

Sep 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star, for-review, historical-fiction, young-adult
Read from August 20 to 26, 2011

Sometimes it seems as though within the historical fiction genre, the same few stories are repeated over and over again. When I heard about the premise for Contagion, I was immediately intrigued because it sounded so different. Although Contagion was a fast-paced and entertaining read, Dahme’s characterization left something to be desired.

I really enjoyed the plot of Contagion. It’s the only YA book I can immediately think of which deals with the subject of a plague or water contamination. The one issue I had with the plot was that I didn’t know much about the subject going in, which made it harder for me to appreciate this story. I think this novel could have benefited from an author’s note which provided more information on the non-fictitious parts of the story.

What kept me from really enjoying Contagion was the characters, several of which felt flat. I think Dahme managed to create a complete cast of characters. However, Rose, Sean, and Patrick all felt a bit one-dimensional to me.

Contagion falls under the liked-it-but-didn’t-love-it category for me. I’m glad I decided to pick this one up, but it wasn’t the perfect read for me. I’d be willing to try more of Dahme’s work in the future to see if her character development improves, though, so perhaps I’ll keep an eye out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contagion.

08/22/2011 page 213