Rikki Prince's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Mar 27, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: npr100, own, ebook

Stardust is a fantasy adventure coming-of-age story about a teenage boy who travels into the mystical land beyond the wall to fetch a fallen star for the woman he loves.

This story is short and concise, but still conveys an epic adventure across many lands and many encounters. While we mostly follow the main character, Tristran Thorn, the doings of three other main antagonists (as well as a few others) are woven into the story.

Of course, this book has been made into a Hollywood movie, which I saw long before reading this, so a comparison is worthwhile. I was surprised by how closely the movie had followed the plot of the book. There were a couple of sections that the film omitted, though were no great loss. I did prefer the movie's tretment of the lightning ship, but I'm undecided whether I liked the book's technicality-resolved ending over the film's action-packed finale.

A great story, but I think I would recommend the movie's telling of it, as it has a little more meat in the right places.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

January 1, 2015 – Started Reading