Kaye's Reviews > God Is Disappointed in You

God Is Disappointed in You by Mark   Russell

bookshelves: audiobook, books-read-in-2015, nonfiction-religion, nonfiction-humor, hist-00-ancient-biblical

A fun reminder of some of the more unusual aspects of the Bible. However, the author's (or publisher's, since it's in the back-cover copy) claim of its being an "always accurate retelling of the Bible" must be taken with a grain of salt about the size of Lot's wife after she turned to look back at her home one last time. After all, it doesn't take a genius to realize that Russell's story of the "three" wise men, related in his condensation of the Gospel of Matthew, isn't true to the biblical text at all, in which there is never given a number of wise men (there are just three gifts mentioned). He also claims that he's presenting a condensed retelling of the text and not trying to sway readers one way or another in whether or not to believe in the Bible and the stories it relates. However, any paraphrasing/condensation of a massive text like the Bible is inherently biased and opinionated---after all, the words one chooses, the events one chooses to retell, and the sarcastic/satirical phrasing in which they're related automatically sets a tone of humor, if not downright mockery, of the subject matter.

Now, I've given this four stars because, for the most part, I enjoyed this irreverent look at the book which has been one of the most significant in the history of the western world. I did get quite annoyed by the author's over-reliance on the "shock factor" of throwing the word sh*t (alone or in various compound words) in quite often. This could have very easily been done without that word (and it's one that I use regularly, so it's not that I'm prudish about cussing)---and he probably would reach a lot more readers who wouldn't throw it across the room at the first instance of that word and instantly give it a 1-star review everywhere they can.

Because I listened to this on audio, I didn't have the benefit of the cartoons to go with it, so I might eventually get it in print so that I can see those.

And I guess I had an a-typical Sunday school upbringing---because there wasn't anything he covered that I hadn't heard before. But it was fun to hear it this way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Disappointed in You.

March 26, 2015 – Started Reading