Elizabeth's Reviews > When Dad Killed Mom

When Dad Killed Mom by Julius Lester

Sep 28, 2010

Read in September, 2010

Wow! This book just blew me away. The content is mind blowing. Two seemingly content and adjusted adults, Rachel/mom/artist and Eric/dad/psychologist have a marriage that is disintegrating until the horrible fateful day when Eric kills Rachel by two bullets to the head in front of a coffee shop in broad daylight. The story is told in turns by their two children Jenna and Jeremy who are about at the age of adolescence. Subsequently, Jenna and Jeremy have to make some very adult decisions. Among them, will they testify in favor of their dad in court? Who will they choose to live with out of relatives and friends? Where will they live? You read the headlines in the paper about such acts of violence but it is only after having read this book that I realize how many complicated (& sad) layers there are to such a story. There are distinct sexual threads in this book and some language. I would recommend this book to mature Young Adults. It is definitely haunting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Dad Killed Mom.