Sophie's Reviews > The Girls take Manhattan

The Girls take Manhattan by Nicola Doherty

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2015...

I’m running out of ways to say how much I adore Nicola Doherty’s Girls on Tour series. Each ebook has brought me a character I love, a still-memorable story and a five star review. And what was more exciting for me was that when Poppy, Lily, Maggie and Rachel combined in The Girls Take Manhattan, this was my favourite book of the series. By far. I loved it from the first page to the last, with its wit and complete and utter chaos. It was lovely to be back with the girls, my bookish best friends (I really wanted to gatecrash all their trips), and interesting to see how far they’d come from the first time we met them all. I really don’t think I have a favourite character but I do love all four of them and their approach to life puts a huge smile on my face.

The Girls Take Manhattan is told by Poppy and we’re thrown straight back into the fun the girls are so great at providing. Poppy is approaching her thirtieth birthday and has been left reeling thanks to her interfering (but very funny) mum with talk of things Poppy doesn’t want to be hearing. Rachel is being a bit manic and over-excitable, which is very different to what she was like when we first met her in the series. She was being very brash and made me laugh a lot here whereas Maggie was also the opposite of what we come to expect as she’s having a bit of a nightmare and feeling sorry for herself. They take their flight to head off and meet Lily and they (and I) were taken completely by surprise by Lily’s plans for the trip.

I loved the unpredictability. Lily’s plan was not what I expected and oh it all made me laugh. The Girls on Tour series is described in the synopsis as hilarious and unputdownable and for me, this is one of those rare books and series that lived up to the expectation. I truly did find all the individual stories hugely funny and impossible to read in more than one sitting. I’m being vague but I really don’t want to spoil any of the individual stories and The Girls Take Manhattan shows off fantastic character development that can’t be fully appreciated unless you’ve been reading the whole series. The Girls Take Manhattan was the perfect way to tie up the ebook series so put your feet up, relax and live vicariously through four fabulous characters that are fun, realistic, easy to identify with and far too much to handle when they’re all in the same place at once. This part is wonderfully uplifting, as is the entire series, and I’m sure I’ll find each of the novellas are well worth a re-read to put me in a great mood ready to face anything. I loved every second of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls take Manhattan.

March 26, 2015 – Started Reading