Caitlin's Reviews > The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge, favorites

One of my favorite books ever.

It tickles me to no end that this book is apparently so enjoyable for both rowers and non-rowers alike. I started rowing last year and am fascinated by the sport. I can't say for sure but I think if that weren't the case I really would have personally had a hard time getting my head around some the descriptions of the equipment, not being familiar with it. But it doesn't matter. The story is still so well-written, and the characters and events so perfectly interwoven that once I got into it I couldn't put it down. At some point I realized I was reading over and over about the same people, rowing the same races, in the same places. How could that possibly continue to be interesting? And yet!
I cheered for them all, I felt like I was part of their world, I cried at the end.

It's just. Yes. It's good. Read it. The end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys in the Boat.

Quotes Caitlin Liked

Daniel James Brown
“Rowing is perhaps the toughest of sports. Once the race starts, there are no time-outs, no substitutions. It calls upon the limits of human endurance. The coach must therefore impart the secrets of the special kind of endurance that comes from mind, heart, and body. —George Yeoman Pocock”
Daniel James Brown, The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

Daniel James Brown
“It is hard to make that boat go as fast as you want to. The enemy, of course, is resistance of the water, as you have to displace the amount of water equal to the weight of men and equipment, but that very water is what supports you and that very enemy is your friend. So is life: the very problems you must overcome also support you and make you stronger in overcoming them. —George Yeoman Pocock”

Daniel James Brown
“It’s not a question of whether you will hurt, or of how much you will hurt; it’s a question of what you will do, and how well you will do it, while pain has her wanton way with you.”

March 25, 2015 – Shelved