Jo's Reviews > Flirting with Fire

Flirting with Fire by Kate Meader

bookshelves: mine, 4-5-stars, book-boyfriend, gr2016

“You fuckin’ slay me, Kinsey.”

Kinsey Taylor learned the hard way that being a strong-willed female isn’t always appreciated by the opposite sex. When her fiancé, who she moved from San Francisco to Chicago for, dumps her for a more “feminine” nurse, Kinsey decides that never again would she put herself second for any man.

When her new job as the assistant press secretary to Chicago’s mayor brings her in contact with firefighter Luke Almeida, she’s determined to do her job of cleaning up the reputation of Engine No.6 and Luke, and not to get distracted by how sexy he is. However Luke is used to being the law around Engine No.6 and soon sparks fly between these two hot-heads.

He felt like his skin had been flayed and every nerve was exposed. It had snuck up on him, this depth of feeling. One kiss at a time, one scorching touch. One woman who made his knees buckle along with his brain.

I absolute adored Luke and how protective he was over his foster siblings. He hasn’t had an easy life, and nothing means more to him than taking care of his family. After the lesson he learned from is ex, he didn’t want to be attracted to another strong woman, but he just couldn’t ignore the attraction he felt for Kinsey. I loved how he appreciated her strength, her independence and her competiveness. He was just so damn sexy!

I liked Kinsey’s feistiness and how strong-minded she was. Here’s a heroine who takes charge of her life, her career and even her own sexual pleasure and I loved that. She did frustrate me near the end, with her unwillingness to compromise, to see what Luke was offering her, and I hate how she hurt him, but luckily she came to her senses quickly and grovelled good ;-D

“I thought I wanted someone easy who’d let me run roughshod all over her. Instead I get you, Kinsey. Bossy, strong, sexy as hell, a pain in my ass. A gorgeous pain in my ass. My heart hurts when I’m not with you and”—he squeezed her hands tighter—“shit, baby, it hurts when I’m with you, too, but it’s that good hurt, you know? You’ve got your hook in me. You’re the barb I can’t get loose.”

The intense chemistry between these two was fabulous, and it was wonderful how both tried to get the upper-hand, but also how they took care of each other when it was needed. The sexy times were incredibly hot, and the sweetness at the end perfect. I just loved the romance in this book, and how happy it made me ;-)

“And what if I can’t give you what you’re looking for?”
Brady’s brow crumpled in rather endearing bafflement that made Gage want to smile.
“And what if you can?”

Luke’s foster siblings were awesome. There’s Wyatt, the oldest, who’s broody and who disappears every night and no one knows where he goes to. Then there’s Alex, the only sister, who is also a firefighter. I adore her, and how tough she is. There is definitely some sparks between her and Eli, the mayor who is a chauvinistic jerk at times, and I’m looking forward to reading their book. Then there’s Gage, the baby Thor, who was amazing. Honestly he stole the show for me, with his openness about being gay, and how much he loves attention. And the attraction between him and Brady, the sexy chef, was my favorite part of this book. I NEED to know more about them. NOW.

Kate Meader is a fantastic author. I love her steamy and sexy romances and how well rounded her characters are. This was a wonderful first installment and a definite must read for all romance fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirting with Fire.

March 24, 2015 – Shelved
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 7, 2015 – Shelved as: mine
October 4, 2016 – Started Reading
October 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 6, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-5-stars
October 6, 2016 – Shelved as: book-boyfriend
October 6, 2016 – Shelved as: gr2016

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Another excellent review Jo :)

message 2: by ☽Luna☾ (new)

☽Luna☾ Great review Jo :D !

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review Jo :D !"

Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Another excellent review Jo :)"

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Hot review sweetheart :-)

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Hot review sweetheart :-)"

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Your welcome :-D

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰ Great review Joanita, I really want to read this series I just have to find the time lol.

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Alicia wrote: "Great review Joanita, I really want to read this series I just have to find the time lol."

Thank you, Alicia! LOL, that is always the problem, right :-D
I definitely think you will like this :-)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, Joanita! ;)

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Awesome review, Joanita! ;)"

Thanks a lot, Arianna :-)

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven What is it about a sweaty fireman that just works so well??? :D RAWR!

message 12: by Jessica's (new) - added it

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :)