Loni Flowers's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Sep 27, 2010

bookshelves: all-time-favorites

I wasn’t sure I would care for reading another plot about werewolf’s but after reading the inside jacket at the book store, it sounded like it would be romantic with some mystery mixed in. I was intrigued and once I started reading, I was pulled into the story instantly.

Grace loves the wolf’s that roam beyond the woods behind her house. She grew up watching them from her window and back yard during the winter seasons. Out of all the wolves in the entire pack, one is her favorite. He’s different, with striking yellow eyes. Even though he’s just a wolf, she feels like there is an unspoken connection between them. Sometimes he will lay at the edge of the woods behind her house and watch her for hours. She wishes sometimes she could be a wolf too, just to be with the yellow eyed one.

Sam loves the wolves too but that’s because he kind of has to…they are his family. He shares his winters with them, roaming the woods with his pack, as a fellow member of the pack. Then the summer heats up and it brings him back to his human form. Summer is the only time he gets to live his life as “normal.” Until winter sets in and transforms him back into a wolf.

This summer is going to be different. While Grace is shopping in a local bookstore, she meets the store clerk. His yellow eyes are familiar and she knows she knows him from somewhere, but where? It’s not long before Sam’s secret is revealed to Grace. Their love blooms and Grace knows that she has to find a way to keep Sam from changing into a wolf before winter approaches. She is determined to stay with Sam no matter the risks!

I found Grace to be strong and the way she loves Sam is so natural. I loved her determination to do whatever it took to keep Sam with her. I fell in love with Sam from the start. He is sensitive, romantic and amazingly poetic as he creates beautiful lyrics.

This book had me up late and spending every free moment trying to fit one more page in. I was on the edge of my seat, living every moment with Sam and Grace. I felt like I was right there with Sam in the candy store, I could smell it in my mind so clear. I was with Grace when she touched the wolves, I could feel the fur on my hand and smell wolf sent in the air.

Maggie Stiefvater did a fantastic job on this book. I was hooked from the moment I opened the book. I love how the point of view changed between Sam and Grace. It fit perfectly and allowed the reader to see and feel a situation from both points of view. The plot was amazing and the writing flowed effortlessly.

I highly recommend you read Shiver if you haven’t already done so. Also, if you’ve already read Shiver, be sure to pick up the next installment, Linger.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Loni Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“And then I opened my eyes and it was just Grace and me - nothing anywhere but Grace and me - she pressing her lips together as though she were keeping my kiss inside her, and me, holding this moment that was as fragile as a bird in my hands.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I didn't think I belonged here in her world, a boy stuck between two lives, dragging the dangers of the wolves with me, but when she said my name, waiting for me to follow, I knew I'd do anything to stay with her.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Folded in my arms you're a butterfly in reverse
you're giving up your wings and inheriting my curse
you're letting go of