Shan's Reviews > Brunch At Ruby's

Brunch At Ruby's by D.L.   White

bookshelves: favorites

The first page of this book made me want to get somewhere quiet and indulge in this story. Between school, research papers and work I haven't had a lot of time to read but every chance I got I was in this book. The characters were so well developed and I felt like I knew them personally.

Renee left a relationship and job to care for her sick father. She thought she would only be moving in with her dad temporarily but it turned into a permanent situation. Debra is a high school principal, a wife and a mother but she got caught up in a scandal at her school that could cost her everything. Maxine is beautiful, intelligent and owns her own real estate company. She prefers the finer things in life and never settles. These three ladies are best friends and go through everything together.

I absolutely loved their friendship and bond. This book will definitely keep your attention. I never wanted it to end. I felt like I was watching a movie. The writing just flows and keeps you turning the pages! This book is definitely one of my favorites!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brunch At Ruby's.

March 24, 2015 – Started Reading
page 67
23.02% "I like Malcolm"
March 29, 2015 –
page 113
38.83% "It's about to be trouble with Renee and Max..tsk tsk"
March 31, 2015 –
page 138
April 5, 2015 –
page 206
April 15, 2015 –
page 291
April 15, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
April 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Girl, hurry up and finish! It's about to get better!

Shan Yes it's good! It's not slow at all. I've been so busy for the last week or so I haven't had a chance to do any reading but I plan to get back into it when I get off today.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Shan wrote: "Yes it's good! It's not slow at all. I've been so busy for the last week or so I haven't had a chance to do any reading but I plan to get back into it when I get off today."

Good!

The CurvyJones Thanks for your review! I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :D

Shan You welcome! Can't wait for your next book!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Will there be a sequel? I'm so ready for one. And I already have the storyline for Renee: Renee and Malcolm are happily married with a child on the way. Bernard is dead or in the Golden Rays institution. But just when they think life is great, Charlene Tillman comes to claim what's hers. Good right?

The CurvyJones Lol there is a sequel in the works. I like the way your brain turns but I'm not going to reveal any details ahead of time!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

D.L. wrote: "Lol there is a sequel in the works. I like the way your brain turns but I'm not going to reveal any details ahead of time!"

Thank you God! Prayer works! Give me a hint as to what's happening next!

Shan Nooooooo I don't want Bernard to die. Keep him alive!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Shan wrote: "Nooooooo I don't want Bernard to die. Keep him alive!"

I said or put him in the institution lol.

The CurvyJones Bernard isn't dying, I do know that, LOL.

message 12: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Yeah but he gonna hate the institution. He's gonna act up in there

message 13: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan I don't think Maxine ready for motherhood and being a wife. She so selfish but I love her lol

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Shan wrote: "I don't think Maxine ready for motherhood and being a wife. She so selfish but I love her lol"

Shan I came up with Renee's storyline. I need you to come up with Debra's. lol

message 15: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Okay with Debra. .everything is going perfect with her marriage but hubby just can't seem to get over the fact that she had an affair. He wants her to feel the pain he went through so guess what. .he's having an affair..their daughter is suffering because of this and now she has got mixed up with the wrong set of girls

message 16: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Demire..what about Maxine?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph feels his sexual needs are neglected because Maxine focuses so much on their child and her appearance. He also feels emasculated by her because he's lost his job and she's the breadwinner in the family. All of a sudden, they start having financial woes including multiple visits from the IRS due to Maxine's lavish wardrobe and lifestyle. And Donovan Luxury Realty might go under as well.

What do you think?

The CurvyJones LOL... ya'll should write for Days of Our Lives...

I know book two will focus quite a bit on Vanessa finding her trash ass husband so she can divorce him and she will find a new love. While it will feature the other characters, it won't feature them as heavily as Vanessa. You guys have given me good ideas to continue storylines, though! I'm not interested in splitting up couples but a little conflict ain't never hurt nobody!

I'll keep everyone posted with plot details on my blog!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

D.L. wrote: "LOL... ya'll should write for Days of Our Lives...

Yes absolutely! You heard than Shan we need to write a soap opera together! lol

message 20: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Yes girl I heard it !!! I agree with you girl Maxine needs to put her boo through it! But don't break them up.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

No don't break them up just add a little flavor.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 17, 2015 01:30PM) (new)

Yeah don't break them up just add a little flavor and i'm a guy lol but i can hang with the girls yasss honey!

message 23: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Wait . who is Vanessa?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Shan wrote: "Wait . who is Vanessa?"
Remember the brief scene before the cocktail party where Maxine introduced a new realtor and then after she found out she was pregant and was getting ready to leave the office towards the end of the book, she had talked about her husband cheating on her and leaving her and her kids and taking her for everything she had.

message 25: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Oh yessss! Now I remember her. I felt so sorry for her. I'm happy she's becoming a main character. Whoop whoop! If you had to pick celebrities to play these characters who would you choose?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Shan wrote: "Oh yessss! Now I remember her. I felt so sorry for her. I'm happy she's becoming a main character. Whoop whoop! If you had to pick celebrities to play these characters who would you choose?"

I was thinking Nene Leakes for Maxine, Robin Givens for Debra, Taraji P. Henson for Renee. Then Morris Chestnut for Joseph, Terry Crews for Malcolm and Shemar Moore for Willard. David can be Christian Keyes. Did I get It right?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

D.L. make Vanessa a character but don't stray from the girls. I want to know what's happening with them. It's so daggone interesting.

message 28: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan I think Meagan Good should play Maxine. Gabrielle Union or Kerry Washington for Debra. You right Taraj would be perfect for Renee and Stacey Dash for Vanessa. I agree with you on the others.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you dear! But in my mind Maxine is tall so maybe a model with acting chops who has honed her craft. Say Tyra Banks. Considering she {Gabrielle Union} plays a role like that in Being Mary Jane, maybe she wouldn't be such a good choice. But Kerry Washington sounds about right.

message 30: by Shan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shan Yes she's tall, beautiful, vain and all about designers..I just don't see Tyra playing that but Kerry..YES

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah probably.