AnnMarie 's Reviews > The Mason List

The Mason List by S.D. Hendrickson

This has to be one of the most conflicted, contradictory reviews I have ever posted...

The Mason List was a very intense read. Though, the intensity I felt is very different from what it seems many others felt.

First, this was an amazing debut for the author. S.D. Hendrickson's writing was very strong, very solid. The flow of the story pulled me along, though not how I am usually pulled along. It was a more "what is going on here and what is this girls problem" pulling me along.

The story was written in present and past tense. The present tense was very traumatic and I had no clue what was going on or why, it was extremely vague. The past tense was the actual story and what led up to the "trauma".

The story line in itself was actually very good. I really enjoyed how the writer brought the characters along from children to adulthood.

I adored the character of Jess quite a lot as well. He was easily likable. Someone I could see myself liking, being friends with, and falling in love with. He was an all around good person to everyone.

Alex's father, the Mason's, and Sadie were great characters as well. Fully fleshed out and solid additions helping to drive the story along.

So why am I so conflicted? Simple...Alex.

Alex has to be one of the most unlikable, unsympathetic characters I have ever read. Not that I haven't read other unlikable characters. But I say this because I do not believe it was the author's intention for her to come off that way.

I did not shed not one tear for her nor did I have any sympathy for her "situation". I found the chip on her shoulder unwarranted and undeserving. Her disdain for her father irked me too. Her hatred towards the Mason's was another confusing issue that made no sense. I also found her to be mean with no justifiable reasons towards the people that cared about her. But then let other people walk all over her without a word.

She was just too dark and cold. Her character practically ruined the entire story for me. I wasn't rooting for her and Jess. I wasn't rooting for her to get her head out of her ass and open her eyes. I wasn't rooting for her HEA. What I was rooting for, what kept me from flouncing was wanting to know what in the blazes was going on in the present day chapters!!

And then when I did finally realize what was happening, the story ended, the author jumped a massive amount of years, and I mean massive, maybe something like 40 yrs, and gave a page and half epilogue with the final HEA.

Needless to say, I was pretty annoyed after all the build up.

And here's the even more conflicting part...

Why did I give 4 stars and also shelve on my Best of 2015 Reads?

For the most part, it was the author's ability to keep me reading and finish the story. It was also the fact that I have not been able to stop thinking about the story nor my own inner conflict.

Normally, I would have flounced a story with this much frustration, a central character I could not engage in, and quick wrap up at the end that left me feeling cheated.

But I didn't. I kept going.

The second reason is the author herself. She is a debut author. Unproven, nothing to reference. That in itself I found amazing when I really thought about it.

A babe in the woods author wrote a very powerful story that evoked huge emotions in me. She caused utter confusion and turmoil in my brain, and I couldn't walk away.

That ability in itself shows me this is an author to be reckoned with and needs to be watched very closely. The potential is HUGE!

See..totally conflicting views on all levels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mason List.

March 24, 2015 – Shelved
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 13, 2015 – Started Reading
October 13, 2015 –
0.0% "Read chap 1, tissue alert already!!"
October 13, 2015 –
3.0% "Well that was unbelievably confusing."
October 13, 2015 –
15.0% "Hmmm.......you are way to young to have this chip on your shoulder."
October 14, 2015 –
37.0% "Alex has got to be one of the most irritating characters ever, but the story is completely engrossing!"
October 14, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reviews