Duane's Reviews > The Hundred Dresses

The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

bookshelves: 2016-book-challenge, childrens, american-classics, rated-books, reviewed-books, 5-star-books

Published in 1944 and this book is just as relevant today as it was 72 years ago. The timeless story of young Wanda Petronski, and what it was like at school to be a poor girl with a strange name, with one faded blue dress that she wore everyday. Shaming is just as bad as bullying, maybe worse. This story will make your heart ache, because when we were in school we were "Wanda", or we knew a "Wanda". Yes this book should be required reading and it is in some schools. The National Education Association puts this book on it's list of 100 best children's books. Beautifully written, just a remarkable story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Dresses.

March 24, 2015 – Shelved
April 6, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-book-challenge
April 6, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed-books
April 6, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star-books
April 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Nita (new)

Nita Kohli This book sounds good and I would like to read it :)

message 2: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Smith I remember reading this book in 2nd or 3rd grade many, many times and loving it. I'm hoping to re-read it one of these days!!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I re-read this to my daughter a few months before she started school last year, but now that she's in school, it's definitely worth re-reading to her.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Enjoyed reminiscing with your review of this book. Thanks Duane.