Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > The Daughters Break the Rules

Sep 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read from December 24 to 27, 2010

I really enjoyed the first 'Daughters' novel, so I went into the second book with high expectations. Perhaps that was a mistake, because I had a hard time finishing this one. It's not that the writing was bad, because it wasn't. Joanna Philbin has a clear understanding of what it's like to grow up with a famous and wealthy parent, and she once again portrays this very well.

My issue with the book is its main character, Carina. Perhaps her outlook on life and her behaviour are reasonable considering her age and her upbringing, but it I found it hard to be sympathetic toward the 'poor little rich girl' whose main problems in the novel were trying to plan a party and finding enough money to go skiing after her father cut her allowance to $20 a week. Carina acted like a brat even though she knew she should be acting better, and it was hard to swallow.

Nevertheless, the book isn't all bad, and it's probably worth a quick read if you enjoyed the first book and want to continue on to the 3rd. I'll likely pick up the next one, but only because the main character will be Hudson, and I'm hoping I'll love her narration like I did Lizzie's, and Carina will thankfully be relegated to the background once again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daughters Break the Rules.