Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > Uprooted

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, adult, black-sheep

Black sheeeeeep. Maybe 3.5 stars?
I liked a lot about the book but I just had such a hard time getting through it for some reason. I really liked Agnieszka and her relationships with fellow characters -- her chemistry with the Dragon, her friendship with Kasia -- and she was a great main character.
I was just never in the mood to pick up the book (maybe I'm personally in a slump??) so it was hard to get into the story. So mixed on this because I liked a lot of things but had a hard time reading it. And that makes no sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uprooted.

March 24, 2015 – Shelved
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 8, 2015 – Started Reading
June 8, 2015 –
page 27
June 23, 2015 –
page 54
12.41% "Really liking the dynamic between these two!"
June 30, 2015 –
page 82
18.85% "Uh oh, am I going to be the black sheep on this book? I'm not disliking it but I'm not INTO it."
July 1, 2015 –
page 93
21.38% "They kind of remind me of Hermione and Snape! Except maybe switch the way they approach learning spells."
July 2, 2015 –
page 114
26.21% "WELP I'm into it. Stupid short lunch hour... I want to keep reading!"
July 4, 2015 –
page 124
page 259
59.54% ""The only mercy you can give the corrupted is a sharpened blade.""
page 282
64.83% "Hmm that's interesting!"
page 355
81.61% "Well!"
page 360
82.76% "I really do like the teamwork in spell-casting."
page 388
89.2% "Whoa that was intense"
page 388
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: adult
July 5, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 17, 2017 – Shelved as: black-sheep

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Shannon I'm really glad it's working out for you :D

Maraia I understand what you mean. I rated it 5 stars because I liked all the elements of the story and it was well written, but I didn't actually *enjoy* reading it. It wasn't one of those books that you just sink into and can't put down. It was rather tedious.

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours) Maraia wrote: "I understand what you mean. I rated it 5 stars because I liked all the elements of the story and it was well written, but I didn't actually *enjoy* reading it. It wasn't one of those books that you..."

Interesting to hear! Thanks for sharing!!
I think I was partially in a slump (I had been reading this for almost a month) and it just wasn't quite the style of writing that I click with. My friend referred to it as more classical and that totally makes sense! Sometimes it works out but other more lyrical and classical styles can be cumbersome. I think it really depends on my mood and I just wasn't in a good place for this one! :(

Maraia Yes, I definitely thought of it as a "classic fantasy" as well. I'm not sure why it's being labeled as YA fantasy. I was completely exhausted the week I read it, so every time I sat down to read, I felt like it was a chore, and I was fighting not to fall asleep. Maybe we both would have enjoyed it more at a different time.