Lindsay's Reviews > FireStarter

FireStarter by Elle Boon

5206569
3.5 Stars

Some of the elements in this story were totally unexpected. When I read the blurb, I expected smoke jumpers, hot firefighters and steamy romance. While I got all of that, I also got an unexpected paranormal element. It wasn’t huge but added a little twist.

I loved the connection between Keanu and Cammie. I especially loved the flashback to how they first met when Cammie was just a kid. She decided right then and there that she was going to marry him one day. I loved seeing them work together and actually wished for more of those scenes.

I was intrigued by the suspense element to the story but was disappointed that the bad guy was revealed so quickly and that there wasn’t more danger to the couple prior to the reveal.

My biggest issue, was more of a surprise than a real issue. As I said before, there was an unexpected paranormal element. It went from a small gift that Keanu had until 80% and then BAM! bigger paranormal presence with shifters being introduced. At this same time, I felt like the book shifted from being Cammie & Keanu’s story to being about her mom and dad. I’m not opposed to reading about her mom and dad, but I would have rather seen a novella or the next book (assuming there is a next book) about them. Abruptly switching to their POV just interrupted the story and took me out of what was going on with Cammie and Keanu.

For me, the ending was just so-so. Keanu goes off to fight one last wild fire and we didn’t see any of it. Same with Cammie working while he was away. It all was just glazed over until they were reunited, some new/big info was dropped and then HEA, the end. It just happened a little too quick for me.

Overall, the book was enjoyable and I’d be willing to read more from the author and even books about other characters from this book (should the author make it a series).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read FireStarter.

March 23, 2015 – Started Reading
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: arc-for-review
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
March 24, 2015 – Shelved as: alpha-hero
March 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Great review, Lindsay ! :)

Lindsay Kristin (KC) wrote: "Great review, Lindsay ! :)"

Thanks Kristin! :)