Lauren Rhodes's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

bookshelves: photos, poetry, beauty, life
Recommended for: All ages

Literature Requirement Coretta Scott King Award Author Winner
Charles R. Smith Jr choose to give images to Langston Hughes poem "My People" though this poem is short through just the course of the book the poem comes alive and breathes life to the reader even though the physical book is dark and uses dark colors such as black and brown. Charles R. Smith Jr. has chosen photographs that reflect the poem's message that people whoever they be and who you belong with are beautiful. The book celebrates the uniqueness and many different shades of black people. The unifying thing among the people in the photographs is their race/ ethic background. The Langston Hughes poem "My People" was written to celebrate the pride he had for his black brothers and sisters in the late 1920's when their identity was not acknowledged openly by society. This poem doesn't exclude other races but rather give a voice to a marginalized race. Charles R. Smith Jr. took the difficult task of giving images to Langston's words and he poured his soul into collecting images of old faces and new faces and smiles of a newborn to the bright eyes of a young child to the interaction of a daughter and father. The subject matter discussed in this book truly resonated with me and is a lovely unit to teach on that no matter what color or shade your skin is your beautiful and unique. Beautiful just beautiful is all I can say about Charles R. Smith Jr.'s take on Langston Hughes's poem "My People."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Started Reading