Anita's Reviews > Room

Sep 26, 2010

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, audio
Recommended to Anita by: Pam, Judy, Tracy
Read from March 01 to 12, 2011

Trying to review Room isn't easy at all. Jack is 5 and he lives in Room with his Ma. From what the reader is told Jack and his Ma are prisoners is the room, and being held captive by a man Jack calls Old Nick. It is at first odd the way Jack refers to objects as a proper noun, such as Room, Table, Duvet, Wardrobe, etc. We learn much more about Jack, and in the end I was left with a feeling that he has so much more to learn, emotionally and about other people. I considered rating this a 5, as it was amazing, but I'm trying to be more judicious in my ratings.
I listened to this book on a free download to my iPhone from Audible.com. I tried it free for 30 days and got 2 free books. I've already canceled it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam I LOVED this book, Anita. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Jackson LOVED it!! Hope you're enjoying it.

Anita Thanks Pam and Sue, I actually downloaded the audiobook free from Audibles and have been squeezing in the listening here and there. I read the sample on my Kindle and was totally hooked. .
I will review when I finish.

message 4: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam So glad you enjoyed it. How was listening on your iPhone? Not great, I guess, since you cancelled Audible. I've been trying to listen to books on my iPod. I have two problems. One, I like to "read" so it's hard to decide what books would be good as a "listen" and two, I can never decide which books to buy from Audible. Because I never buy books, it feels like such an important decision. What if I don't like the book? I can't just stop reading (listening) and return it to the library. I will feel committed to listening to the whole thing, because I paid for it. I finished listening to my first Audible.com book a few days ago and I'm wracked with indecision about what book to buy next. Help!!!!

Anita Pam wrote: "So glad you enjoyed it. How was listening on your iPhone? Not great, I guess, since you cancelled Audible. I've been trying to listen to books on my iPod. I have two problems. One, I like to "..."

Pam, I really liked listening to it on my iPhone, but honestly I just tried Audible.com because it was free, but I don't think I would spend money on Audio books every month. I do buy books for my Kindle. Room was an excellent listen, the voices were very well done. My other choice was The Weird Sisters, I don't know when I will get to it, as I have some others to finish reading, and have joined a southern lit group here on goodreads and am planning to read the next group read. I reserved it from the Library yesterday. Aren't you proud of me?
BTW, what did you listen to first from Audible?

message 6: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam I completely understand not wanting to spend (even more) money on books. I'm such a library person that it's hard for me to stomach. I've heard a lot of buzz about The Weird Sisters on the internet. I'm curious to hear what you think. Good for you for joining the southern lit group. What is the next group read? There is so much great southern literature. I bet it will be a fun group. My first listen on Audible was Spook by Mary Roach. It was just alright. Not great. I'm now wracked with indecision about my next book. Ugh!