Jane Stewart's Reviews > To Tempt a Scotsman

Sep 26, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-romance-prior-to-wwll
Read in May, 2010

Most conflicts were based on withholding information, inaccurate assumptions & doing something stupid for the sake of the plot.

STORY BRIEF:
Damien arranged for John to see him with his hands under Alex’s skirt. John challenged Damien to a duel and was killed by Damien in the duel. Since dueling was a crime, Damien fled the country. He occasionally wrote to Alex asking for money which she sent. Collin was John’s half-brother. Collin has been searching for Damien to bring him to justice. Collin asks for Alex’s help. She shows him her correspondence from Damien and agrees to keep him informed. She likes Collin and wants an affair with him, but he doesn’t respond and returns to Scotland. Two weeks later, Alex goes to Scotland under the guise of purchasing horses, but her main reason is to tempt him into an affair.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
There were several conflicts between the hero and heroine due to one of them “withholding information” from the other (for no rational reason). Collin was mad at Alex several times due to his “inaccurate assumptions” about her. More than once her response was to withhold information from him and not clear it up. The major climax happens when the “heroine does something stupid for the sake of the plot.” Also, during the major climax, two important scenes were “told and not shown.” I was annoyed with the lack of details.

I cannot enjoy a story so full of the above contrivances. In addition, I had trouble with the characters. I didn’t enjoy reading about them. Alex kissed a variety of men. There was no relationship development with Collin. Apparently she just wanted him for his body. Collin was likeable at first but later became an abusive jerk.

DATA:
Story length: 279 pages. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: moderate. Number of sex scenes: 4. Total number of sex scene pages: 17. Setting: 1844 Yorkshire, England, and Scotland. Copyright: 2007. Genre: historical romance.

OTHER BOOKS:
For a list of my reviews of other books by this author, see my 4 star review of “Lead Me On” posted 3-23-10.

CAUTION SPOILER:
A small woman uses a knife to stab and kill a big, strong man. I doubt she could aim through his ribs to get to his heart, so it was probably done through his stomach or neck. I don’t know. It was told (referred to after the fact) not shown, which bothered me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Tempt a Scotsman.

05/10 marked as: read