Esteban del Mal's Reviews > Robert Crumb's Book of Genesis

Robert Crumb's Book of Genesis by Robert Crumb

Sep 26, 2010

bookshelves: comics, jesus-take-the-wheel
Read from September 26 to October 10, 2010

God. There's no talking to that guy.

Now, if only Sergio Aragones could be persuaded to illustrate one of the Gospels.

***

An interview with R. Crumb from the Paris Review (thank you to Eddie).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robert Crumb's Book of Genesis.

09/27/2010 page 27
12.0% "Noah was God's favorite? The one he decided was worth saving before The Flood?

"And Noah, a man of the soil, was the first to plant a vineyard. And he drank of the wine and became drunk and exposed himself within his tent." -- Chapter 9

Quite the pedigree we got going for us."
09/28/2010 page 67
30.0% "I am El Shaddai! Walk in my presence and be blameless."
10/06/2010 page 130
58.0% "This is so Goodfellas."

Eddie Watkins Is this the first time you're reading Genesis? Just curious. I kinda wish my first time reading it was in Crumb's version.

message 2: by Esteban (last edited Sep 27, 2010 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esteban del Mal No, I'm acquainted with Genesis. But I'm thinking Crumb's version is the one that is going to stick with me.

Eddie Watkins This is a great book, and there's a really good interview with Crumb, some of which covers his working on this, on the Paris Review website.

Esteban del Mal I'll look for it. Thanks, Eddie. (I can't stop thinking about Crumb doing the Last Supper.)

message 5: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine there are at least 2 times that people talk god into changing his mind in this book.

message 6: by Paquita Maria (last edited Oct 11, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

Paquita Maria Sanchez You should check this out if you're into that whole "modern illustrative take on days long ago" thing. It's pretty frikkin' rad, and I have mixed feelings on R. Crumb. Damn, the man can make a mix.

Esteban del Mal Jasmine wrote: "there are at least 2 times that people talk god into changing his mind in this book."

It was still God's will!

And thanks, Kristi. I might just give that book a look-see sometime.