Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws's Reviews > The Forbidden One

The Forbidden One by Zaarra Khader

liked it
bookshelves: review-copy, iwe-2015, books-i-own

In recent times, a lot of Anthologies are hitting the Indian Market. It offers a wide variety of stories with each flavour as distinct and unique as its author. Thanks to such Anthologies, I have recently developed a general liking towards short stories as opposed to the time when I would read short stories only if they were by O'Henry (who doesn't love his twists) and Jefferey Archer.
Zaarra Khader offers a collection of ten short stories in her book 'The Forbidden One'. Frankly the cover, put me off because I assumed that the stories would be about love and sexuality - the kind that have low quality but sell like hot samosas. But then I know better than to judge a book by its cover. I read the blurb and asked around and decided to give it a try and I am glad that I got over my initial impression of the book and picked it up eventually.
Zaarra Khader has brought together ten very different stories to the readers. Ofcourse the common theme among them is love, but just not one kind. Love between lovers, between friends, between mother and child and even between a devotee and God is captured beautifully through the pages. There is another common thread among the stories... In most of them the character have all reached out for their 'forbidden fruit'. It portrays the core of human behaviour when they are face with restrictions or the bad comes to worst. Overall, all the stories were high on emotions and the author has handled her narrative quite well. The language used is simple yet enticing though I must say I craved for more dialogues in the stories. Another thing that irked me was the fact that everytime the author used Hindi terms, there were explanation in bracket next to it. It made the experience of reading the book a bit repetative as I do understand both Hindi and English. Small notes at the end of the page or a glossary at the end of the book would have been better. Or as I prefer, not using regional language in an IWE book would have been best.
Overall, this book comes as a surprise to me as it delivered in quality. Also, this in no way seems like a debut work of the author. She is someone I will watch out for in the future and I hope you will check out this book in the meantime.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden One.

March 23, 2015 – Started Reading