Dietmar's Reviews > The Search for WondLa

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

Sep 26, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, illustrated

"The Search for WondLa" is the lavishly illustrated new book by Tony DiTerlizzi, best know for the "Spiderwick Chronicles". It tells the story of Eva Nine, a girl which is raised by a Muthr robot in a selfsufficient sanctuary without contact to any other humans. When this little world is shattered by an intruder, Eva Nine has to go above ground to escape and finds there a different world than expected. My impression after the first few chapters was, that it was a bit overdone ... lots of strange and new creatures that Eva Nine runs into in her search for other humans. The characters other then Eva seem first a bit lifeless and 2-dimensional. This changes quickly as the book picks up speed and the story progresses further. In the end I couldn't put it down and had to stay up late just to finish it.
The overall impression is a good one and I am looking forward to the next adventures of Eva nad her friends, especially after a few surprises in the last few chapters.
It is a good read and solid storytelling for people ages 9+ and I can recommended it. The fantastic illustrations by the author are also noteworthy and I am glad that I got it in the hardbound edition.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search for WondLa.

September 26, 2010 – Started Reading