Lyndsey's Reviews > Obernewtyn

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Arrrrrg. This one thing was really getting on my nerves and I just couldn't enjoy the book the way I should have.

When certain characters are speaking, their accents are demonstrated in the most frustrating way. For example: Dinna ye ev'n think 'bout gon' roun' thar an' all.

Uh, What? Exactly what I was thinking. It's not so much the visual indicator of their speech pattern that bothered me; as it definitely helped me to "hear" their accent, but it was the frequency with which it was used that was infuriating. I kept looking down and seeing a hundred damn apostrophes in a paragraph. Really?

I know it's a nit picky thing, but I think I'm entitled to not getting an apostrophe headache every time I turn the page. It was so bad in parts that I was tempted to not finish the book, but I really did want to know what happened next. I settled for putting the book down for a while so I could reboot my brain.

Then eventually I got sucked back into the storyline. Dang you intriguing misfits and your mad skills!

Other than that gripe, I really liked it. Great storyline which works well as a standalone, even though I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I don't know why, as they are completely different, but it sort of reminded me of the Dumbledore's Army part of Harry Potter. Just reminiscent of it and not as good, though it did get exciting toward the end. Overall, a great start to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ I felt the exact same way about their damn "accents"

Diana Me too. but somehow, i knew what they meant. Actually, i only remembered one simple sentence in another book 'i dinna ken' which meant' i don't know' and it proved to be useful. Anyway, the accents make it a little hard to read and pronounce.

Heather S "Dang you intriguing misfits and your mad skills!"
hahahahaha brilliantly phrased