Kayla's Reviews > Ask the Passengers

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King

A powerful book that shows the struggles of a dysfunctional family and how a young girl has to send love to strangers on passing airplanes because she doesn't feel loved by her family, her friends, or her community.

When you move to a tiny, small-minded town from NYC, there are a lot of adjustments. You must fit in and uphold a certain reputation, which proves to be impossible when you're hiding your identity. Astrid is struggling to determine if she's gay, and her journey isn't made any easier by the ignorant bigots overflowing the town. This is a wonderful coming of age novel, perfect for anyone struggling with their identity, in whatever capacity that may be, or for adults, young or old, who need to be reminded of their roles in creating equality.

ASK THE PASSENGERS is a fast read with meaningful prose. I enjoyed how sending love to the passengers sort of came full circle, but the occasional stories from the passengers seemed a bit forced. It is a creative and interesting concept, but I think it could have been fleshed out a bit better. I loved how Astrid took her philosophy class to heart and used the lessons to navigate and solve her own problems. It's a wonderful way to show the usefulness of humanities in real world situations.

This is the second book I've read my King, and I'm excited to indulge in more of them. Especially as someone who grew up in a small-town bubble, I'm constantly trying to expand my understanding of diversity and the problems associated with it, and King's books do a wonderful job of making complicated issues simple, yet attention demanding. I always feel like I've grown more as a person after putting a book like this back on the shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask the Passengers.

March 22, 2015 – Shelved