Andrew Carlson's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Mar 21, 2015

I cannot necessarily give an objective review of The Fault in Our Stars.

I read the book with empathy, yes EMpathy, because I am a cancer survivor (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia). I was faced with death at the time of my diagnosis and treatment and knew other Leukemia patients of my age, also treated by my doctor, who did not survive. But yet, I cannot be fully empathetic with Hazel Grace and Augustus because I was never in a terminal stage. My cancer was acute--it progressed rapidly, and once in remission, I remained in remission. For me, death was a question of probability (if), not of inevitability (when).

That said, I was glad to have read The Fault in Our Stars. I was not happy while reading the story--except for the one scene in which Hazel and Gus write the ad for her swing set, but I am thankful that I read the story.

John Green produced a realistic depiction of the pain of cancer. Anyone who has personally faced death by cancer or the death of a loved one from cancer can relate to this story and will appreciate it.

This is a book that should be read by everyone. Eventually, everyone will face the inevitability of death.
1 like · flag

Quotes Andrew Liked

John Green
“Headline?" he asked.
"'Swing Set Needs Home,'" I said.
"'Desperately Lonely Swing Set Needs Loving Home,'" he said.
"'Lonely, Vaguely Pedophilic Swing Set Seeks the Butts of Children,'" I said.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

March 21, 2015 – Shelved
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 24, 2015 – Started Reading
March 24, 2015 –
March 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Eliabeth Hawthorne Wow, that's amazing of you to share.