Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Witch of Painted Sorrows

The Witch of Painted Sorrows by M.J. Rose

Mar 21, 2015

bookshelves: read-2015

I have for a while now wanted to read an M.J. Rose book. The stories in the books have intrigued me and I love the covers for them. I was quite glad when I got the chance to read this new one.

Sandrine Salome has left her husband and fled New York to take refuge at her grandmother's house in Paris. But she discovers when she gets there that her grandmother is planning to turn the house into a museum and she also forbids Sandrine to visit the house. But she can't help feeling drawn to the house and one day she defies her grandmother and goes to the house and there she meets Julien Duplessi, the architect that is to turn the house into a museum. With Julien, Sandrine feels something she hasn't felt with her husband; passion. But will the passion ultimately destroy her? Because the women in her family are said to being under a curse; that they should never love anyone that that will only lead to destruction...

I was quickly drawn into the story of this book about courtesans, witches, possessions, and passion. It was an intriguing story and very beautifully written. Sandrine starts out as a young woman in mourning for her father and for her failed marriage, but as the story progress she changes, she starts to paint and it consumes her. But as she learns more and more about her family's story about La Lune, the famous courtesan she slowly starts to lose herself to La Lune. Was La Lune a witch? A woman desperate to live again century's after her death? Sandrine's grandmother tries everything to keep her from the house, from painting. Everything that has to do with La Lune, but Sandrine is in love and love is the very thing that La Lune feeds on...

As I read on I soon got a feeling of doom about the ending. I just knew that this book couldn't end happy and the ending was...let's say I really want to read the next book in the series!

In the end, I just want to say that I’m I enjoyed reading The Witch of Painted Sorrow very much and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series and other books that M.J. Rose has written.

I received a copy from the publisher and france book tours in return for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch of Painted Sorrows.

March 21, 2015 – Started Reading
March 21, 2015 – Shelved
March 21, 2015 –
10.0% "Promising! "
March 27, 2015 –
52.0% "“What kind of book is this?” I asked. “Have you ever heard of a grimoire?” he answered with another question, and with what I thought was a touch of dread in his voice."
March 27, 2015 –
70.0% "I took a deep breath, grabbed hold of the hand railing. How could there be a lake? I vaguely remembered a story about a lake and a frightening phantom who lived below the opera, but that was a legend in a novel."
March 27, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 27, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Sounds very interesting. Great review!

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Margitte wrote: "Sounds very interesting. Great review!"

Thank you! Yeah I was very pleased that the book turned out to be as good as I hoped it would be! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader That ending, right? But the rest is excellent though. Wonderful review, Magdalena.^^