Mel's Reviews > Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Sep 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, 1-books, twisted-up-stuff, crime, adult, unexpected-disappointment, horror

What ruined this book for me was the ending. It was too out of the blue and very soap opera-ish. More so than the 'Luke, I am your faaaaatherrrr' drama. I liked where it was going before it ended, to say the least. It was fun to read, really well written, but the ending was a big '... seriously? You went for that?' kind of moment.

Also for anyone who says the TV series is better than the book... you couldn't be more right. The TV series managed to take everything good in this book, and the bad things, and make them brilliant. How? I dunno. Talent, I guess. For example I didn't like Laguerta, or Angel, or even Doakes. But the TV series handled and explored them so cleverly that I cannot help but adore them. Also they managed to handle the ending better and make it brilliant. Thank you HBO. Please from now on be in charge of all book to screen adaptations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

September 24, 2010 – Shelved
November 5, 2010 – Started Reading
November 5, 2010 – Shelved as: books-i-own
November 5, 2010 –
page 17
November 8, 2010 –
page 28
10.18% "Dexter is becoming addicting."
November 9, 2010 –
page 55
20.0% "Dexter is still addicting."
November 9, 2010 –
page 61
November 10, 2010 –
page 100
November 11, 2010 –
page 171
November 11, 2010 –
page 171
62.18% "This book is bloody brilliant. (hey, notice the pun? huh? huh?)"
November 12, 2010 –
page 211
76.73% "I don't want this book to end! =["
November 13, 2010 – Shelved as: 1-books
November 13, 2010 – Shelved as: twisted-up-stuff
November 13, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 14, 2010 – Shelved as: crime
March 22, 2011 – Shelved as: adult
April 23, 2011 – Shelved as: unexpected-disappointment
April 23, 2011 – Shelved as: horror

message 1: by Nerdie (new) - added it

Nerdie Hehe, another gem I'd like to read one day. Have I mentioned I love your taste in books? Lols.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Nerdie55 wrote: "Hehe, another gem I'd like to read one day. Have I mentioned I love your taste in books? Lols."

Why thank you! ^-^