Amanda Leon's Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, small-towns, fairies, read-in-2012

I remember when this first came out two years ago and the HUGE buzz for it. Add the rave reviews and the beautiful cover with the creepy and intriging plot to go with it, it seemed like an incredible read. I bought it but it sat on my bookshelf for two years until i finally had enough free time to read it.
I heard people saying how they couln't beleive that this was Brenna Yovanoff's debut but i did. Her writing wasn't bad but it was odd and you definaly saw her struggling with dialogue or description in some areas. The characters were dull, annoying and I never emotionally attached to any of them. Especially Tate and Mackie. This novel fell under the unfortunate "intresting concept but bad excecution." The town, Gentry, with its residents superstitions and charms to ward off "the evil" interested me but Yovanoff went nowhere with it.

Overall, whiny, meh characters, an okay plot and bad writing. It read like a rusty first draft and if they made changes to the main character and taking away from the petty and BORING SO BORING school drama and focusing more on Mackie's origins and his world, this could have been an extraordinary story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

September 24, 2010 – Shelved
May 11, 2012 – Started Reading
May 12, 2012 –
page 41
11.95% "I had high hopes for this book and the beginning is so blah"
May 12, 2012 –
page 165
May 12, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 12, 2012 – Shelved as: small-towns
May 12, 2012 – Shelved as: fairies
May 12, 2012 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Lucy Oh, tell me if it is worth reading. It has been sitting in my to-read shelf for a while.

Amanda Leon It's really disappointing at the moment :( Hopefully, it gets better.

Lucy Amanda wrote: "It's really disappointing at the moment :( Hopefully, it gets better."

Oh, that's a shame. Yeah, hope it does.

Amanda Leon I posted my review on it if you wanna read it :) http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Lucy Thanks. It has definitely changed my mind about reading it. I think I'll pass for the time being. Thank you. =D