Fiction Fool's Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Sep 24, 2010

bookshelves: reviewed, adult, paranormal-urban-fantasy
Read in October, 2010

Rating: (♥ ♥ ♥ ♥)

This is the 4th book in Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series. It's not without it's flaws, but I really enjoyed it far more than the previous three predecessors. That's saying a lot because there aren't many Kenyon books I do like. Sadly, I'm not a fan of most of the books in this series. I guess her writing style is just not my thing [most of the time.]

Dance with the Devil is the story of Zarek and Astrid. Zarek was once a tortured Roman slave; now a haunted and misunderstood Dark Hunter with a death sentence hanging over his head. He is believed to be insane and dangerous by everyone but his boss Acheron. Ash is the only one coming to his defense against Artemis, who wants nothing more than to see him destroyed. Artemis and Ash agree to put Zarek on trail. For his judge, they both choose Astrid, a nymph and daughter to Themis, the Greek Goddess of Justice. She has never found any man innocent, and like Zarek she has never fallen in love.

The story had a great plot, was well developed and engaging. The characters were well rounded and I was able to make an empathetic connection with them. So much so that I found myself actually getting teary eyed, many times, for Zarek and his torturous past. There was also great chemistry between the two main characters, Zarek and Astrid.

My complaints:
The author's over use of "Oh Yeah" and "Ooo" for ALL her characters. That's a little pet peeve with me in her writing style, but I was able to overlook it with this story. Use of dialogue that makes the male characters sound goofy and little effeminate. A little formulaic: words used to describe the love scenes are repetitive and unimaginative. The author seems to rely heavily on and use a cookie cutter formula for all her love scenes in all her books. Makes it monotonous read when you've read all of them and know exactly what's going to be said and what words are going to be used. I wish she would change it up a bit. Move away from her formulas. Choose new words. Create new and inventive love scenes.

All in all, despite my nit-picking complaints, this was a fun, enjoyable read. There characters had great chemistry and the love story was very touching. I'm putting this one on my Win shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.