Krista's Reviews > Hard Times

Hard Times by Charles Dickens

Sep 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: school-assignment, classics

In truth, I probably wouldn't have picked this book up if hadn't been required reading. The title. The cover. The jacket description. None of them really appeal to me as a consumer. That being said, I'm glad I read it. It's certainly memorable and not in a "this is dreadful" kind of way.

While many of the characters in Hard Times echo or mirror those found in David Copperfield - the only other Dickens' book I've read - I still found them interesting. In this particular book, I must admit I liked Sissy immediately and found Bounderby and the adult Gradgrinds to be criminal from the beginning. That Dickens uses their over-the-top personality traits to categorize them in terms of social and political ideologies should not come as a surprise. From what I can see, he tends to do this often.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it yet, so I won't go into the plot. Instead, I'll say is that things pretty much appear just as they are. Subtly is not something Dickens seemed to worry himself with while writing this particular novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Times.