Julius Butcher's Reviews > Assignment in Eternity

Assignment in Eternity by Robert A. Heinlein

Mar 20, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: sci-fi

Sometimes I treat old books as if they were old wine, savoring the story matured during decades. But sometimes they go sour, lose their flavor, and I just spit them out. I mean I give up reading. This is what happened to me reading Assignment in Eternity.
It took off well, the first story, "Gulf" was promising. I like fast paced action, so I followed the story with interest. Then the fast flow of events slowed down like a river leaving the mountains and spreading out wide on the plains. What followed was a boring discussion about people with super abilities. I found myself falling to sleep. By the end it started to be interesting again, but then BAMM, the protagonist died. End of story. I was left dumbfounded.
I found the next one, "Elsewhen" better. Interesting way of travelling in time, alternate Earths, different stages of evolution.
I gave up at the third one, when doctors started to discuss supernatural abilities. The subject itself was interesting, but the scene was so boring, I just didn't care to continue.
Heinlein is a fine writer, but this book isn't up to his writing talent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assignment in Eternity.

March 20, 2015 – Started Reading