zoe's Reviews > Secrets, Lies, and Algebra

Secrets, Lies, and Algebra by Wendy Lichtman

Sep 24, 2010

bookshelves: 7th-grade-books
Read from October 06 to 09, 2010

Secrets, Lies, and Algebra is about a girl in the 8th grade that is going through many different situations and conflicts in her life. She learns different ways to solve these problems, especially through math.
The question that came up a lot and that I can easily answer is, “what helps you empathize with your character(s)?” I am able to empathize with Tess because, being a female middle school student, I deal with many similar conflicts. I can connect with her feelings about these situations.
I have conflicts related to school grades, family, and reputation, as does Tess. Tess and I both love math and are very good at it. But unlike Tess, who solves a lot of her life problems with math, I am not logical enough to do that. Reading this book and looking at how Tess uses math, I learned how much math can do for our lives, and how many more ways math can be view and used. I also learned the different ways Tess solves her problems, and hope I they can help me with my conflicts, as they did for Tess.
I think Tess compares her life problems to math problems, because solving math problems are easy for her to solve and understand. Comparing her life problems to math problems helps her understand the meanings of her life conflicts. Also when she puts her problems into math problems, she feels the problem is easier to solve and comprehend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets, Lies, and Algebra.