Lou's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

it was ok

Does size matter?
Not generally Lord of The Rings a large scale story The Stand, War and Peace and The Dark Tower stories all large but the story keeps you page-turning plots are good and characters, good prose and generally interesting stories. With A Game of Thrones you really needed something to get the reader immersed into the story, a tight plot and reasonable amount of characters not over flooded with names to taken in. The bulk of this story is consisted of Lords, Clans, Feuds and Politics and countless names to absorb no real meat of a story to keep you locked in no thrill or chill or real action. I was really disappointed as this was this book I was saving it for a special time due to all the good words I have heard about it. Is it only me who's feeling like this about the novel?
I was told it was up there with Tolkien and others but I have to say no. I have read Fevre Dream a shorter novel, was really good compared to this atmospheric setting well written prose and a real page-turner. I would probably guess that the Tv series will be much better Adaptation as you would have faces to all the characters which would make the story much easier to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

May 20, 2010 – Shelved (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 24, 2010 – Shelved
page 300
April 18, 2011 –
page 835
April 18, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Regina How are you liking it?

message 2: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Not bad so far many names and house names to absorb that hinder story flow first 100 so pages

Regina Agreed, I highlighted constantly on my Kindle. After the beginning though, it is easier to grasp.

message 4: by Jadewik (new)

Jadewik There are over 300 characters in the first book. Many of them reoccurring in later books. If you can just follow the main houses and the characters in the chapter headings, you're doing well. It all falls into place later. It's a lot to stomach for a first book, but by the end you'll know who does what and what's happening where.

Main locations you need to worry about are King's Landing, The Wall, Winterfell and wherever it is Dany is located (I can't remember).

... Did you get hooked VIA the HBO premier of "Game of Thrones" this weekend? =)

message 5: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou It looked like itwoukd pick up momentum but dull for me I did not workas a good story wanted it to work but didn't

Juliette I read this long before the hype (9 years ago?) and loved it, though the WTF ending had a lot to do with it. Also, I love characters almost more than I love story line, so this was a book for me.

Juliette Sorry, meant to add that I can see where you're coming from on the book. I did like the 2nd and 3rd better, but not sure about the rest of the series.

message 8: by Lou (new) - added it