Ariel's Reviews > High Stakes

High Stakes by Brandy Schillace

liked it
bookshelves: vampire-challenge
Read 2 times. Last read March 19, 2015 to March 22, 2015.

** spoiler alert ** I've read plenty of YA vampire books, and so many of them are terrible! This is definitely not one of them.

Jacob is your average dorky teenage boy - he's nervous around girls, an aspiring journalist, and had an annoying little sister. But he's also a vampire... kind of.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. Jacob's "blood disorder" straddles the line between natural and supernatural. It's never exactly clear where he falls on the vampire spectrum, and that gives him more flexibility since he doesn't have some of the common vampire limitations.

The one big problem that I had with the story is that Jacob is kind of boring. He doesn't really do anything, he barely leaves his aunt's house! On the other hand, he spends much of the book feeling pretty bad, so maybe that's excusable.

There was a little clue dropped about the origin of his illness, and I hope that is explored more in future books.

Overall, High Stakes was a fun and interesting read, and I'm planning on continuing to read the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Stakes.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
February 3, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
March 19, 2015 – Started Reading