Christine's Reviews > Blue Labyrinth

Blue Labyrinth by Douglas Preston

Mar 19, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-reads

A sudden knocking on the front door interrupts the quiet evening Aloysius and Constance are spending at their New York mansion. When the door is opened a most gruesome sight awaits them … all tied up and most certainly dead is the body of Pendergast’s son. (No spoiler alert necessary as this all happens in the first few pages of the book) Retaining his ever-present cool-headedness Pendergast races off into the night to try and apprehend the culprit, but to no avail. Of course the police must be called and Aloysius casts suspicion upon himself by being his usual reserved self and by not offering a lot in the way of information. It’s not lack of caring – its simply that Pendergast knows he is capable of conducting a better investigation himself – until something goes horribly wrong.

Fourteen books into this series and, as a reader, I was beginning to become concerned that possibly the characters have gone as far as they can go. With Blue Labyrinth Preston and Child have given me some hope that there may yet be a few adventures left in Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast. This entry gives readers some of the intricate twists, turns and surprises that made the early books so enjoyable as well as revisiting some of Pendergasts “ethereal” talents and past friends and enemies. Without wanting to give too much away, I must say I did enjoy the second half of the book where the reader is once more surprised by Constance. I’ve said in past reviews that I would like to learn more about this character and Preston and Child are finally delivering. I was also quite thrilled when finally … FINALLY … well no, I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t read this yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Labyrinth.

Started Reading