Gavin's Reviews > Homeland

Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

8192509

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

This book in the Forgotten Realms Saga chronicles the early years of the Drizzt Do'Urden, a Dark Elf. Raised in the underground city of Menzoberranzan a young Drizzt learns the skills of swordsmanship while trying not to fall to the dark beliefs of the cruel and evil Spider Goddess religion which dominates all aspects of the Drow society.

Drizzt was an easy character to like and root for which is good as apart from his mentor he was the only one in the story you could accuse of having any morals! The plot was fairly intriguing and engaging even if it did suffer from being a little too predictable. The mass of villains were suitably evil and I was happy that R. A. Salvatore had an acceptable reason as to why this would be the case.

This book had been on my to-read list for almost two decades before I finally decided to give it a chance. In some ways it is a pity I waited so long as I'm sure I'd have loved reading this while I was in my teens. It was for the most part a fairly traditional coming of age fantasy of good vs evil. What elevated it above its competitors in that particularly genre was the quality of R.A.Salvatore's world building and the flowing quality of his storytelling. The underground setting of Menzoberranzan was unique and excellent while the politics, intrigue, and dark nature of life in Drow Society was fun and fascinating in equal measure.

I went into this read with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The ending was interesting and I'll definitely read more of Drizzt's adventures.

Rating: 3.5 stars.

Audio Note: This was narrated by the dependable Victor Bevine who did a great job. He avoided the common pitfall of giving elves and dwarves ridiculous Celtic accents, which would most certainly have ruined the story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeland.

April 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
April 30, 2013 – Shelved (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
March 19, 2015 – Started Reading
March 19, 2015 – Shelved
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 19, 2015 –
10.0% "Zak did not follow immediately. Rather, he cut through the rows of mushroom trees and found a secluded dell, where he plopped down on a patch of mossy carpet and raised his gaze to the eternal darkness of the cavern’s ceiling and the eternal darkness of his existence.\n \n This has been OK so far. The setting is a unique one for sure. Zak is the only likable character so far!"
March 20, 2015 –
15.0% "“Where are you going?”\n “To get the acid?"\n “Acid?”\n “You want the disguise to appear authentic?"\n \n These Drow are so disturbed!"
March 22, 2015 –
26.0% "“Do not kill them!” Masoj screamed. “To kill spiders is forbidden by the-"\n “To the Nine Hells with the clerics and their laws!”\n \n I'm with Alton on this one. Nobody likes being attacked by arachnids!"
March 25, 2015 –
38.0% "I'm finding the intrigue of the Dark Elf society more interesting than I anticipated. This has been a decent read so far. Probably better than my recent Star Wars read."
March 25, 2015 –
42.0% "“Without mercy the evil faeries pursued us across the surface world. Always we asked for peace, and always we were answered by swords and killing arrows!”\n He paused, his face twisting into a widening, malicious smile. “Then we found the goddess!”\n \n Yeah, I'm sure that is just how it happened! The Spider Goddess propaganda machine rolls on."
March 27, 2015 –
46.0% ""I am eighth?" said Drizzt, an uncharacteristic edge on his voice, more anger than jealousy, “but I could defeat you with any weapon?"\n Kelnozz shrugged, a strangely blurring movement to onlookers seeing in the infrared spectrum. “You did not"? he signaled. “I won our encounter?".\n \n This was a harsh lesson for Drizzt."
March 27, 2015 –
51.0% " "A lost waif?" he laughed to his students, tossing the empty purse back to the ground and pocketing its contents, "of no consequence?". \n \n The value of life in Menzoberranzan!"
March 27, 2015 –
57.0% "“You should take care when you speak to a high priestess? she warned.\n “Damn your Spider Queen!” Drizzt spat. “Though I am certain Lloth found damnation eons ago!”\n “She brings us power!” Vierna shrieked.\n “She steals everything that makes us worth more than the stone we walk upon!” Drizzt screamed back.\n \n True, but it was not the smartest thing to insult the Spider Goddess in her own temple!"
March 27, 2015 –
71.0% ""Finally"? Dinin whispered as he watched his brother’s tense strides. "Finally you have learned what it is to be a drow warrior!"\n Dinin, in his blindness, would never understand the irony of his words.\n \n Some horrible happenings here, but at least I'm happy with Drizzt."
March 28, 2015 –
87.0% "We need to learn more about the Spider Queen and her demonic handmaiden's in the future."
March 28, 2015 –
95.0% "This moment was always coming, but it is a sad one none the less. Surely it will spark a reaction from Drizzt."
March 29, 2015 –
100.0% "This was better than I expected it would be. I'll definitely be reading the next book in the series."
March 29, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Gergana (new) - added it

Gergana Glad you enjoyed it :) I first read it back in 2008, I might need to reread it again, but from what I remember - the first three Legend of Drizzt books are really good! I lost interest after the Crystal Shard (#4), but kept on reading.

Markus Nice review, Gavin. Excited about reading this!

message 3: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Markus wrote: "Nice review, Gavin. Excited about reading this!"

message 4: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Gergana wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it :) I first read it back in 2008, I might need to reread it again, but from what I remember - the first three Legend of Drizzt books are really good! I lost interest after the Cr..."

I'll definitely read all of The Dark Elf trilogy. I'm not sure about the series that begins with The Crystal Shard as I've heard the series was wrote earlier in the authors career and is not quite so good.

Markus Gavin wrote: "Markus wrote: "Nice review, Gavin. Excited about reading this!"

Thanks:) I hope you enjoy it at least as much as I did. Am I right in thinking you have read other Forgotten Realms books?"

message 6: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Markus wrote: "No, none at all. Which is rather funny, considering that it's more or less the only well-known fantasy series heavily featuring my favourite fantasy race :) "

Your favorite fantasy race being Dark Elves? I'm not sure if I've ever encountered such creatures before in all my years of fantasy reading. They are pretty awesome!

Markus Gavin wrote: "Markus wrote: "No, none at all. Which is rather funny, considering that it's more or less the only well-known fantasy series heavily featuring my favourite fantasy race :) "

Your favorite fantasy ..."

message 8: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Markus wrote: "Does that mean you've never played the Elder Scrolls games, Gavin? Even if you're not that fond of video games, I'd still recommend those :)
"

Brace yourself: I've never even heard of Elder Scrolls never mind played the game:P

The last game I played was a free ping pong one on the Fire TV!

Markus Gavin wrote: "Markus wrote: "Does that mean you've never played the Elder Scrolls games, Gavin? Even if you're not that fond of video games, I'd still recommend those :)
"

Brace yourself: I've never even heard ..."

Haha, well you should try some fantasy RPGs, Gavin! You'd love them!

message 10: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Markus wrote: "*runs away screaming* No, really... it's curious that you haven't heard of the series with all the publicity it's been getting, but I'm not enough of an Elder Scrolls fanboy to view it as a provocation, lol.

Haha, well you should try some fantasy RPGs, Gavin! You'd love them! "

To be fair Elder Scrolls is just one of the mass of modern day games I'm completely in the dark about:) I'm not much of a gamer. My last games console was the first Nintendo Wii which I think rotted away due to disuse!

Markus Gavin wrote: "Markus wrote: "*runs away screaming* No, really... it's curious that you haven't heard of the series with all the publicity it's been getting, but I'm not enough of an Elder Scrolls fanboy to view ..."

Lol! Well, never to late to begin anew :)

message 12: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Markus wrote: "Lol! Well, never to late to begin anew :)"

I tried Flappy Bird for the first time today! Does that count?:P

Markus Hahaha! But of course it does!