Gary's Reviews > Trial by Fire

Trial by Fire by Charles E. Gannon

it was ok

I enjoyed Gannon's endearingly old-fashioned Fire With Fire enough - despite its many flaws - to pick up this sequel. Sadly, Gannon's faults as a writer are magnified exponentially here. The wretched dialogue and one-dimensional characters, the naïve and insular views on world politics and cultures, and worst of all the blatant chauvinism (you could make a drinking game of all the times a male authority figure feels the need to encourage Elena to speak up) are all multiplied here. The good stuff - the well structured action sequences and Star Trekky gee-whiz adventure - is too often overwhelmed by tedium. There are long explanatory passages the author seems to think are fascinating enough to require pages upon pages of exposition when a few lines of dialogue would have been adequate, and the plot tends to run around in circles just to get from point A to point B. I guess the best thing I can say about it is I was interested enough in how it all turned out to make all the way to the end, though sometimes it was quite a chore to do so. I don't think I'll be reading the next book in the series; I am forecasting my expectations based on the law of diminishing returns, the current rate of which seems to be one star per book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trial by Fire.

March 18, 2015 – Started Reading