Gary's Reviews > Trial by Fire

Trial by Fire by Charles E. Gannon

it was ok

I enjoyed Gannon's endearingly old-fashioned Fire With Fire enough - despite its many flaws - to pick up this sequel. Sadly, Gannon's faults as a writer are magnified exponentially here. The wretched dialogue and one-dimensional characters, the naïve and insular views on world politics and cultures, and worst of all the blatant chauvinism (you could make a drinking game of all the times a male authority figure feels the need to encourage Elena to speak up) are all multiplied here. The good stuff - the well structured action sequences and Star Trekky gee-whiz adventure - is too often overwhelmed by tedium. There are long explanatory passages the author seems to think are fascinating enough to require pages upon pages of exposition when a few lines of dialogue would have been adequate, and the plot tends to run around in circles just to get from point A to point B. I guess the best thing I can say about it is I was interested enough in how it all turned out to make all the way to the end, though sometimes it was quite a chore to do so. I don't think I'll be reading the next book in the series; I am forecasting my expectations based on the law of diminishing returns, the current rate of which seems to be one star per book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trial by Fire.

March 18, 2015 – Started Reading