Millie Thom's Reviews > Mission Paris

Mission Paris by Catherine Aragón

This is the first book I’ve read in the Scavenger Hunt Adventure series and have found it to be excellent and of extremely high quality. It is aimed at children in the 8-11 years age range, but would equally suit older teenagers. Adults, too, could certainly use the book as a tour guide. It is well written, beautifully and colourfully presented, with an arresting cover indicative of the general theme. Inside is a clear map showing the location of Paris globally and within France.

The aim of the book is to give children on holiday with their family something interesting and exciting to focus on. It presents tasks and investigations in a lively and fun way. On successful completion of each task, points are allocated, the ultimate goal being to reach a score of 100. Reaching this goal enables participants to become a Secret International Agency (SIA) special agent. Parents/trusted adults are asked to perform the role of case officers, and must accompany the children and supervise them during the tasks.

SIA special agents secretly collect intelligence from around the world. The books present agents as holding a privileged position – which should certainly appeal to children’s imagination and competitiveness. The book stresses that ‘only a few have what it takes’ to join.

The tasks are presented as a series of seventeen missions, all clearly listed on a Contents page which allows agents and case officers to navigate easily through the book, along with a list of mission rules. The missions are varied and exciting, and include historical information about each location. Most of the major sites around Paris are visited, including the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the Champs-Élysées. The missions aim to help develop many useful skills, including map, plan and photo analysis and interpretation, problem solving and interpretation of data – all done in a really fun way. The children are also encouraged to carefully record and store their intelligence or ‘intel’ – the word used for a spy’s discovered information.

As a former geography and history teacher, I have found this book to be an excellent resource for a city study. As a travel lover, I see it of enormous value to families on a city break to Paris. I only wish such books had been available when my own children were young. Other books in the series include missions to London, Rome, Barcelona and Washington D.C. and I believe that more are to follow. I look forward to reading them

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mission Paris.

Finished Reading