Andrea's Reviews > I Kissed an Earl

I Kissed an Earl by Julie Anne Long

bookshelves: historical-romance, read-in-2015, regency-romance, favorite-series

** 4.5 stars - the first half of I Kissed a Girl was good, the second half was ON POINT **

I recently dived into the Pennyroyal Green series with It Started with a Scandal - my favorite book of 2015, so far. Of course I picked the ninth book in the series to start, which left me desperate for more. I went with I Kissed an Earl because it does tie directly to the latter, and ended up with another lovely read.

In I Kissed an Earl, I got a story of adventure, intrigue, the lengths one determined young woman will go to for her family, and a reluctant and unlikely romance.

Violet was a fun heroine. Not only was she determined, brave, intelligent and passionate, but she was also very self-aware (a huge plus for me) and she experienced tremendous character growth. Besides Violet's search for her wayward brother Lyon (this is a huge, delicious series arc!), and the realizations she reaches about herself and her family along the way, Violet learns much about bravery, loyalty, honor and sheer will through Asher Flint, the captain with whom she searches for her brother.

Asher Flint was quite the character. A man of mixed-heritage in historical England, Flint has come to an earldom through the schemes of a king who needs his help. He's a novelty to the ton, labeled a savage. Though he's made assumptions about Violet, and isn't overly fond of her in the beginning, Flint quickly begins to realize she is more than meets the eye. Theirs is most definitely a relationship formed with reluctance -he's out to capture Lyon, while she's out to save him, when the two finally (!) give in, this book scorches. I loved that Long steadily built on the sexual tension, and when Violet and Flint slake that lust....it was fantastic.

So the question of pirates and Lyon Redmond's identity, this is such an excellent arc. It's what brings Violet and Flint together, keeps them at odds throughout, and ultimately ends up being the true test of their love. The answer was never obvious, or clear-cut. I liked that Long allowed the two to maintain their positions and beliefs, while seeing the other point-of-view. It was handled with great maturity. I'm really happy that Violet never had to decide between her brother and her lover. I'm excited to see how Lyon's big adventure concludes (?) in the Pennyroyal Green series finale.

I Kissed an Earl simply reinforced my new found love for the Pennyroyal Green series. I cannot wait for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kissed an Earl.

March 18, 2015 – Shelved
March 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-romance
April 15, 2015 – Started Reading
April 16, 2015 –
12.0% "When and if Violet ever fell in love, lightning would split the heavens, tectonic plates would shift, continents would reorder themselves. Because she might be willful and spoiled and impetuous, but no one loved with the force of his sister. Her love story would be epic."
April 17, 2015 –
31.0% "She stared at that great arrogant insurmountable wall of a man, and that felt that familiar fizzing of recklessness, that childlike impulse to conquer what wasn’t meant to be conquered. She wanted to jar loose that veneer of distance and arrogance. She wanted him to see her."
April 19, 2015 –
54.0% "But he was so careful. So gentle.It was ridiculous,and it was devastating.She felt fragile— she was decidedly not and protected. Not the way her family protected her,by reigning her in,but the way sturdy buildings sheltered. His fingers were long,surprisingly elegant. The heat of his body made her want to sink into him the way water sinks into earth,and she fought the sensation as though she’d been unwilling drugged."
April 19, 2015 –
80.0% "The force of his desire and his fury and whatever other enigmatic emotion had him in its grip unnerved her. But she’d never wanted anything more in her life than to melt into him. To soothe him, to take and give comfort. She wanted it as much as she feared it."
April 19, 2015 –
88.0% "Does he love me? Does he even know? She thought of his face on the deck this afternoon after she’d fired that shot. Unguarded in that moment. Everything he felt was in that gaze. But what if he does? And it simply didn’t matter. She loved him. And love was bigger than she was. And Violet, the rebel, surrendered to it."
April 19, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015